Thursday, April 23, 2015

2 February 2015: One week down

                The first week of school is over. Considering that there are 100 school days in the first semester, that means that I am 5% done until winter vacation. Is it bad that I’m already thinking about vacation? So far, A has about 50 students, including my oldest ausi. The first thing I tried to each them was how to take notes. I had to tell them like five times to get their notebooks out of their backpacks, open them, and write. They really don’t understand much of any English, which is frustrating. The primary schools are supposed to start teaching only in English at some point, but obviously that doesn’t happen. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I have a weird accent to them or that it’s all English instead of mostly Sesotho with a smattering of English or that they’re new to high school, but hopefully they will get into a rhythm. The other thing they’re not used to is asking questions when they don’t understand. Every time I ask if they get it, they automatically respond, “Yes, teacher.” I think if I said some jibberish like “whale toenails are a formidable precipitation in Mongolian chloroplasts. Understand?” They would say, “Yes, teacher” in a choir-like response. This is just what they are taught to do in primary school. If they don’t understand or if they get an answer wrong, they are normally stick-whacked by the teacher. It’s funny that they call me and the other teachers “Teacher” because I distinctly remember that when I was little, my teachers would get mad if someone called them teacher instead of their name.
                I am getting conflicting information on the homework front. The other math teacher said that I should give homework every day because the kids go home and do nothing, but another PCV I talked to says he rarely gives homework because a lot of the students walk for hours to get home, then they have chores, then they have neither the light nor the tables nor the time to do homework. So I’m trying to find a balance for now. I’m thinking homework twice a week and a weekly quiz on Fridays.
                Absolutely the most annoying and time-sucking part of class is checking classwork. I’ll give them a few problems to do in their notebooks, and every single kid needs a red checkmark in their notebook saying that it’s correct. I made the mistake of using my blue pen to check work and my ausi told me that she needs me to use a red pen. The kids bring their notebooks home to their parents, and the parents look for the red checks to make sure that the kids are doing well or whatever. So in summary, these kids live for red checks. I figured out that I could bring a bunch of red pens and give them to the students who finish first, then they could go around and check other people’s work for me. I also figured out that I can get a smart one to explain something to the class in Sesotho so that they might at least halfway understand better. The way that they “learn” is by copying exactly the words on the board and then memorizing these strings of words. They don’t really understand the actual meaning to well, I think. My ausi was practicing some history definitions, and she can tell me what an archaeologist is in terms of some other big words that she doesn’t know, but I’m sure she doesn’t really understand. Their tests are like that, too. What is ______? And then they fill in the blank with the exact phrases that have been drilled into their skulls. We’re gonna have to work on that, slowly of course.
                Form A computer was hilarious. The first class, none of the computers were set up (again, lack of preparation), so I just went into the classroom and drew a computer, a screen, a keyboard, and a mouse, and sort of taught them those words and verbs like click and type. For the second class of the week, I actually went in ahead of time and set up the computers. If it hadn’t have been me, I don’t think the computers would even be set up yet, even though there are two other teachers who teach computer. Because there was some situation with one of the Form A students, I took all of them into the computer lab where normally I would just take the ones who have paid the M300 computer fee. So here are like 50 students all cramped around like 12 computers. I stood on a chair to get their attention, not knowing it only had 3 legs, and I fell straight on my butt. The computer lab also serves as staff room to two of the teachers and storage room for chairs and desks that need to be repaired. I got up, ain’t no thang, and found a four legged chair on which to give my instructions. I told them to turn it on, find Microsoft word, open it, type the alphabet and their names, save the document, and shut it down. That took the entire 40 minute time slot. A lot of them were looking a little scared to even touch the computer, as most of them had never used on before.
                Form C is the best by far. I only have to act as their “spirit guide,” as one of my friends called it, and teach them life skills. Their English is much better, and one of them was even bold enough to tell me that I was speaking too fast for them to understand. That would have never happened in form A. I kind of asked them what they wanted to do career-wise, and a lot of them are quite ambitious, wanting to get out of this village and do things like be accountants, nurses, and teachers. I also started an anonymous question jar where they can ask anything, so I think that will help me both fill some of the extra time and help me come up with new lessons.
                Lunches are pretty good. In order, this week we had samp, papa and peas, papa and moroho and an egg, papa and moroho, and papa and beans. So much papa, but it’s really not bad food. I’m sure I’ll get sick of it sooner or later, but for now it’s nice to have a hot meal that I didn’t have to cook. There are two girls who are assigned to serve the teachers their lunch and then wash the dishes afterward. The kids bring plates or Tupperware containers and line up outside the kitchen to get lunch. On Fridays, the students clean and work around the school, sweeping and mopping all the floors, cutting the tall grass (the girls braided the cut grass into a rope and played jump rope with it), weeding the gardens, cutting trees for firewood, and things of that nature. The kids are always well-behaved in that they do what needs to be done (unless it’s taking notes…).

                When I don’t have class, there is a lot of down time, so when I finish planning for the next lesson, I mostly read. It gets pretty boring. I’m probably the one who uses the library the most. I’m sure some of the kids don’t even know that’s what that room is for. I’m getting along with the other teachers well, but I don’t talk to them a lot, mostly because they’re talking to each other in Sesotho. Overall, the moral of this story is that I survived the first week mostly intact except for a nice purple bruise on my butt from that deceitful chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment