Thursday, April 23, 2015

16 March 2015: Breaks in the monotony

These past few weeks have been kind of same ol’ same ol’ in terms of life and teaching and settling into a routine. Some things have not changed: I still hate grading homework, the form As still give me blank looks when I say almost anything, and I’m still stumbling my way through pretending like I can teach life skills. I have been reading a lot more at school. I finished A Clockwork Orange, which was fun to read, but I don’t know who besides me would have been able to pick that one up from the library and comprehend it.
Last week (or was it 2 weeks ago? I can’t keep the monotony straight.) the orphanage had a mokete (feast/celebration) to thank the Ministry of Agriculture for giving them more land and to thank everyone who helps the orphanage run. In true mokete style, there were tents set up for people to sit under, a long series of speeches, singing, and of course food. Lauren and I helped serve the food in their dining hall. She said that at important events like this, it’s traditional to serve all the men first, but I was like pfff, and we just served the people in the order they were sitting. To round out the after-meal entertainment, the director had the kids prepare a series of skits. They were very good and quite funny. The orphanage kids must know a lot more English than the average village kid out here because of stuff like these skits (which apparently are a favorite of the director’s and happen quite frequently).
Another break in the day-by-day came last Wednesday for Moshoeshoe’s Day [Moshoeshoe, as the kids learn in school, was the “founder of the Basotho nation.”]. Old ‘Shoe’s day is a day to run (obviously…). All the primary schools in the valley would be competing in races at the secondary school (my school). I was told that the festivities would start around 8am, so at noonish, I sleepily stepped out of my rondaval and into my yard. I looked across the valleys and could see that people were starting to congregate on the soccer field to watch the primary kids run against each other around a severely sloped rectangle that served as the field. One secondary student was put in each race just for fun, and to practice for their district competition coming up. My students have been training for the district competition by running long distances on the road. I wanted to run with them one day, and the teacher in charge of sports naively told them that I should be the pacesetter. Hah. Soon most of the kids, the majority dressed in their school skirts or pants and stiff, leather school shoes, zoomed past me, some grabbing peaches off of branches along the way and eating them as they ran up and down some killer hills. Later that week, they were running really far to the next village, so I just waited for them to come back. The other teacher was like “I’m going to the shop to buy something,” which in bontate language means “I’m going to the bar. I may or may not be back. Peace.”  At least an hour and a half later, they came back and I did some conditioning and stretching with them. Anyway, back to Moshoeshoe Day, it was really fun to watch the kids race, including my oldest ausi who is really fast. She is definitely going to race at the district competition [update: she placed high enough to go to Maseru to compete, but placed 4th in her event when they take the top 3 to South Africa to compete. Sad.].
After standfast and the weekend after that, I hadn’t been out of the village for at least 3 weeks, and I was sort of testing the limits of my sanity. Yep, 3 weeks was pushing it. I promptly decided to go to Mount Moorosi, meet up with another volunteer, and eat some meat and chocolate. I’m getting pumped for phase 3 training in a few weeks, where I will be able to see all of the other volunteers again. Then we’re going on vacation hiking in the north. Woo!

2 nights ago, there was this insane lightning storm. No rain, but there was just lightning for hours. There was hardly a 2 second span of darkness with all the electricity streaking across the sky. Then it started ailing like nobody’s business, which, sadly crushed the little sprouts in my garden. They have bounced back a little, though, which is promising. That night, I was just lying on the floor of my house on my rug, half trying to sleep, half watching the windows light up and listening to the thunder that continuously growled and echoed through the mountains. 

Kids playing seesaw with a log in the crook of a tree

No comments:

Post a Comment