Tuesday, March 7, 2017

9 December 2016: South Africa- Pretoria

                After a butt-crunching 20 something hour ride on the Intercape bus, I had arrived in Pretoria. Let me tell you about Intercape, loyal readers. The bus was pretty nice, with plushy seats and air conditioning. They also had some TVs spread through the bus that played movies interspersed between preachy messages. Intercape is a Christian company, and some of their movies have non-in-your-face Christian overtones, but it was pretty annoying in between the movies when this blonde preacher lady would come on and explain some bible section or whatever the heck she was blabbering on about. I mean, it wasn’t offensive, just weird. The other weird thing was that whenever we’d stop at a gas station or something, their programming would start over in the middle of the first movie they played, so I saw the last half of “Robo Dog” at least three times. But no one complained or even mentioned it to the driver, weirdly. It was super loud, too, and no one seemed to care. That seems to be a common theme here. Some inconvenient thing is happening- we have to wait in line at the bank for four hours, there are no tomatoes today at the grocery store, I’m suffocating in the back of a taxi- and you just deal with it without complaining because that’s just how life is sometimes.
                Anyway, I arrived at the Pretoria bus station and went to the PRASA train station to get a ticket to the next station over to go to my hostel. Little did I know that there were two train stations right next to each other: the PRASA metrorail station, and the Gautrain station. I actually wanted the Gautrain station, but I didn’t know that it was right there, so I figured I could just take metrorail. Nope. I bought a ticket, and after the train I wanted pulled away just as I arrived, I waited an hour for the next one. I got on and it was going the opposite direction I wanted to go, according to my little blue dot on my maps.me app. I got off at the next station, waited about half an hour more to go the opposite direction back to where I started at Pretoria station, then got off and asked how to get to the station I wanted to be going to. Turns out the train didn’t currently go in that direction, so I’d have to go back on the original train I thought I had mistakenly gotten on earlier, go some roundabout way around some closed stations, then take a shuttle. Nope, nope, nope, I thought. So, frustrated and exhausted, I abandoned my R7.50 ticket and decided that, though I was an expert at waiting, I just wanted to move. Like a zombie, I blankly handed my unused ticket back to the turnstyle attendant and left, not looking back to see what was probably a very confused look on her face. I mapped the route to the hostel, and it would take about an hour and a half to walk there. Yep, that was fine. As long as I don’t have to wait for any more trains.
                Having had sat around for more than 24 hours at that point, it was good to move. An hour and a half later, exhausted and sweaty, I finally arrived at the hostel, Pumba’s Backpackers (R100 for camping, R180 for dorms, discounts for volunteers) and set up my tent. I ran into some South Africa PCVs, some of whom I had met at Sani Pass in Lesotho, who were staying there while they had some PC business in Pretoria. Then, I attempted to scout out the Liberian embassy, which was the whole point of why I had gone to Pretoria in the first place, to get a visa for Liberia. I went to the place where it was supposed to be, according to the internet, only to see a sign that said that it had moved across town. Ugh. At that moment, I was just so tired of being slapped around by the system that I just said screw it, and decided to get it when I flew up to Abidjan in Côte d’Ivoire in a few weeks.
                The next day, I lazed around the hostel, and the only thing I did was attempted to change my extra Rands into Botswanan Pula (as I was going to Botswana the next day) or US Dollars (a good alternative currency for so many countries in Africa). After trying at a bank and being told that I needed an account or proof of residence to change there, I went to another exchange place. I pulled out this massive wad of Rand cash and carefully calculated how much of each currency I’d need, but they told me that they needed proof of where I’d gotten the cash. Since I’d taken it out of my bank account in Lesotho when I closed it, and didn’t have that receipt, they were not about to change it for me. I got on my online banking and found one time when I took out a bunch of cash in Lesotho, took some screenshots of that transaction, and emailed it to the exchange place lady. But, nope, Julie gets slapped down again because they didn’t accept that because it was taken out in Lesotho and not South Africa. But it’s the same currency! Ughhhh. They suggested that I could change money without all the proof and receipts at the airport in Joburg. I'd have to figure out how to get over there, either by Gautrain or by taxi, change money before business hours were over, and then get back to Pretoria. Hahaaaa, nope. Not doing that. I’ll just hang on to my Rands and change it elsewhere if I can, or else just keep it and change it in the US.

                So, in summary, I accomplished nothing I came to Pretoria for: no Liberian visa, no Rand exchange. Cool…But I wasn’t super bothered by it because, as I described above, sh*t happens and most of the time there’s nothing you can do, and complaining won’t fix a thing. So I bought my bus ticket to Gaborone, Botswana, and hoped that the next destination would allow me more excitement and allow me to actually do what I’d planned to do for once.

Bus life

No comments:

Post a Comment