Wednesday, March 1, 2017

24 November 2016: South Africa- Gansbaai, Hermanus

I left Agulhas for Gansbaai to do the only thing Gansbaai is known for- shark cage diving. I thought Mossel Bay was lame, but it’s Disneyland compared to Gansbaai. It was pretty bleak, not even a beach. The hostel I was staying at, Gansbaai Backpackers (R150/night in a dorm), seemed really disorganized- they didn’t answer my emails, the owner was only there for a few minutes, and the people actually there, the cleaning women, didn’t seem to know much. But the owner booked a shark cage dive for me and the dreadlock sisters staying in my dorm. They were two girls, one Australian and one English, traveling around working at equestrian places. They had no car, so they loaded up all their stuff into my tiny rental and we all went to the boat launch site a short drive from the hostel. The dive cost around R1000, and I think it would have been pretty easy to book it ourselves, as there are about 8 companies that operate in the same place.

The boat. Before they put it in the water, of course

We had breakfast at the office, then got on the boat. On our way out, we saw some whales in the bay. We got our wetsuits on and waited for our turn to get in the cage. But before we could do that, we had to find and attract the sharks toward the boat. There was a lot of waiting around as the deckhands chummed the water with fishy chunks. It took so long because there was very little wind or current to carry the scent of the chum beyond our boat. Unless the shark swims directly through the scent, it can’t detect it, so we moved the boat to a few different spots to try to find the sharkies. We finally found some, and you could see them pretty well from the top deck of the boat. Soon enough it was my turn to get in the cage. The wetsuits were very necessary, because the water was absolutely freezing. There was a guy with a fish head on a rope throwing it toward the shark trying to get it to come close to the cage. When it did get close, he yelled, “Down, down!” and we put our heads underwater to get some better views. The water had pretty bad visibility, so it was like you saw nothing at all or a shark right in front of you. It seemed like it was all over pretty quickly, and we got out of the cage and back on the boat. It was totally worth it, though, and the boat rides out and back also added to the fun.

Getting ready with the fish head

Here sharkie sharkie

The dreadlock sisters got some other transportation to Cape Town, and I went to Hermanus, a very short drive westward. Hermanus was so much lovelier and brighter than grim Gansbaai. A lot of people stay there and just get some transport to Gansbaai to go diving, then come back. Maybe I should have done that instead. I arrived at Hermanus Backpackers (R160/night for a dorm) where, once again, I found Vacation Friend George. This would make the third place we coincided. The day was spent just killing some time wandering around town, and Hermanus was a great wandering town indeed. There were lots of shops and restaurants, as well as lots of art and paths along the shoreline with great views, and a few little spots to climb among rocks to just watch the waves crash into them.

Somehow I also ran into a penguin sanctuary on the way out of the dive site

There are penguins somewhere in this photo...

Art in Hermanus

Sitting on the rocks

Hellooo

Beautiful views of the mountains right up next to the ocean


                As George was also going to Cape Town the next day, I convinced him to keep me company in the car and drive with me to Cape Town. He was going to take the Baz Bus, but he would have had to leave late in the afternoon and get into Cape Town even later, so he opted to come with me instead. Hooray for not being alone in my car for once! Read the next post to hear about my adventures in Cape Town, which quickly became my favorite place in South Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because through them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately, it is impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are very small countries with very few population, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this, I would ask you one small favor:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Lesotho? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Lesotho in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Avenida Juan de la Cierva, 44
    28902 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally, I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    Emilio Fernandez

    ReplyDelete