Sunday, March 12, 2017

21 December 2016: Botswana- Francistown

               After arriving in Francistown, I got a shared taxi to Dumela Lodge, the only place around that seemed to be reasonably priced, as it offered camping (P85/night). Might I add that Dumela is the Setswana (language spoken in Botswana) way to say hello, pronounced exactly like Lumela, the Sesotho way of saying hello. Sesotho and Setswana are very close, even mutually intelligible, and I was entertaining my taxi driver by conversing with him in Sesotho.
                We arrived at Dumela lodge, where I’d be camping for the next two nights before I headed off to Zimbabwe. Spoiler alert: there’s nothing to do around here, so the only thing I did was swim in the pool (It was h-o-t hot. The heat was so much more intense in Botswana than in South Africa.) and read. I’m pretty sure I was the only one in the whole place besides the staff. But the good news is that, even though this place didn’t have a self-catering kitchen either, I was actually able to start a fire and make some hot oatmeal and boiled eggs. Hooray for hot food. Their camping bathroom was pretty gross, filled with bugs (giving me flashbacks to summers with the family in our trailer using those buggy campground bathrooms) and at the time had no hot water. But they let me take a shower in one of the really nice chalets, which was awesome. Not so awesome was that when they finally turned on the hot water heater, I was using the outside sink that might have somehow been connected to the electric current, because I got electrocuted. So the facilities weren’t great, but it was fine for a couple nights to stay before a long trek into Zimbabwe.

                The reception lady was super nice, if a little sycophantic. My last morning, she gave me a ride into town to the taxi rank where she made sure I got exactly where I needed to go, walking me around to the different busses and talking to everyone to make sure I got on the right one to get to my next destination of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. 

My path through Botswana, from Pretoria, South Africa to Gaborone to Maun/Okavongo to Gweta to Francistown, on to Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

No comments:

Post a Comment