Wednesday, March 8, 2017

11 December 2016: Botswana- Gaborone

               You probably thought that my transportation logistics would actually go well for once. Well, you’re wrong, because TIA. From my Pretoria hostel, I took the Gautrain one stop over to the bus station and waited for my Intercape. It was only one hour late arriving. Not bad. I’m so immune to being delayed now, it doesn’t even phase me anymore. I got some caffeine for my exhausted self with a couple free cokes being handed out at the station and waited for the bus with the reliable company of my Kindle. The other waiting passengers and I finally boarded the bus, and as I sat down, this lady across the aisle from me immediately started complaining about the lack of air conditioning in this section of the bus, even though it wasn’t that hot at all. I entertained her for a little while, then couldn’t take her negativity any longer and stopped responding, letting her keep whining into the ether.
At the border post to leave South Africa, we waited in super long lines to get through, and when we got into no man’s land, thank bob there was a currency exchange booth so I could get some Botswanan Pula for once, since I had failed to do so in Pretoria. Then at the border post to get into Botswana, we were held up another hour for seemingly no reason, and Complainer Lady was at it again, riling up a bunch of other bus patrons who were spreading rumors that the bus didn’t have the proper paperwork to cross the border. With my this-is-Africa-lower-your-expectations attitude on lock, I wasn’t phased at all. I just put my headphones in and popped on a podcast and tried to go back to sleep in my seat.
We finally arrived in Gaborone in the pitch dark and three hours later than scheduled, and I was met by Henk, the hostel owner’s son and his squeaky girlfriend, who drove me to Mokolodi Hostel. It cost me P120 for them to drive me, an outrageous sum in my opinion, but the P3.50 bus wasn’t running that late at night. Oh well. At the hostel, I set up my tent near the pool and crashed. I was kept up by a horde of ducks who decided that as soon as the people got out of the pool, it was ducky swim time, but eventually they decided to stop being quacky and splashy and went to bed themselves.
The next day, I was entertained looking around the hostel grounds for all of their animals, including an enormous pig named New Year and a peacock. I started to walk down the road where I could catch a ride or the bus into town, as Mokolodi is a ways outside of Gaborone itself. As I was walking, a guy driving the other way stopped me and said that there was a sketchy-looking character lurking on the road, and he drove me toward the nature reserve where I could find another ride into town. We found another guy who was going to town, and he drove me and dropped me off at the mall, where my mission was to get a sim card and some groceries. I flagged down the P3.50 bus for a fast and cheap ride back to the hostel.

The next morning, I woke up at 4:30am for a 5:00 ride to the bus station in town to catch the 5:30 bus to Maun, my next destination.

Peacock vs. Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment