Thursday, June 16, 2016

31 March 2016: Easter break hike in Butha Buthe

                Almost two weeks ago, I left my village for Mohale’s Hoek (but what else is new…?) I met up with Jen and we got some good work done on a pamphlet on alternatives to corporal punishment. I may not be a PCV anymore, but I’m still keeping good on my previous commitments to other PCVs.
It was hard to look up stuff, though, because the internet was really slow due to a ton of people at the hotel at a two-week-long workshop on how to conduct the census that will happen next month. This year, they’re going to use tablets (donated by the US government apparently) to gather information, so the process of tabulating data should be much faster.
                That evening, Lea and Katie returned from Cape Town. I was really happy to see Lea, as I hadn’t seen him since he went crazy and went home. He was back for a short vacation with his mom that they had been planning for a while now. He had a rental car, so we all drove back to his house, and we (read: I, as my Sesotho is the best) had some somewhat awkward conversations with his host family about the fact that he wouldn’t be coming back once he left again in a few days.
                The next adventure, after we picked up Emily on the way, would take us to Maseru where I went to the embassy to turn in my application for a new passport. Since I had to return my PC passport and my personal passport is nearly full, I decided that a new one would be in order, since I planned to do a lot of traveling. Then we headed to the fancy Lesotho Sun/Avani hotel and ate at the Chinese restaurant inside. Then we headed up to John Lee’s house outside of Maputsoe, a town-between-camptowns north of Maseru. Lea was thinking about spending the night there, but he really wanted to get back to Mohale’s Hoek, so he left. After some great fried rice and sleepily watching Forrest Gump, I promptly crashed. The next morning, we left his village of Fobane by Venture (converted SUV with sideways seats in the back that face each other) and arrived at the Maputsoe junction. The taxi rank there is one of the most vicious ranks in the country, with guys that will literally fight over you to get you in their taxi. We just put our heads down and walked straight out of that warzone, blinders up. We quickly got a hitch straight to Butha Buthe (2 towns north), which was pretty lucky, considering there were 3 of us. Emily kept going north, but John Lee and I waited at the PCV hangout, the Crocodile Inn, for Kyle and Chelsea to arrive from a hike out of their very remote village. Finally, the hiking gang was all together.
                The 4 of us got a taxi to Ha Molumo/Tsime, a village that would start us off on the right direction on our planned hiking route. The road was pretty gnarly, and the driver was mere centimeters from hitting a cow and having to slam on the brakes no less than three separate times. At the end of the road, we got out and asked directions to the first destination of the day. The guy we asked said (in English), “Let’s have a talk. My name is _____. I live in Lesotho.” Well, duh, but way to get the most out of all your English phrases. We started climbing and climbing. We got the usual surprised whistles that come from very rural Basotho seeing white people. There were sprawling fields of pink and white flowers blooming everywhere, which not only enhanced the beauty of the hike, but enhanced my sneezing. Seasonal allergies are real life, people.
Oh the walk, Chelsea was telling me about an RPCV from Lesotho doing anthropological research about birth and other sexual issues. She is interviewing women in Kyle and Chelsea’s village. Chelsea told me about what this RPCV has found so far, and it’s scary how normalized rape and violence against women is here. As the sun started to set, we set up camp on this little “balcony” poking out of the mountainside. We talked to a few passing herdboys as we made a fire and cooked ramen noodles for dinner.
The next morning, at about 4:30am, our wake-up call came in the form of a herdboy yelling down to us (in English), “It’s time to wake up! It’s time to continue on your journey!” And after meeting another 2 mountain boys who dressed up for us to take their photos, we did just that. Our destination for the day would be Solane Falls, a short, wide waterfall with a pool at the bottom. On the way, we were surprised to meet a woman walking in the mountains. None of us had ever seen that; it’s normally exclusively men and boys that take these long journeys to walk from remote villages to towns, as she was doing. We also saw a man on an upper peak singing and waving his stick in the air, his blanket blowing in the wind and his voice echoing off the valley walls. He looked like a wizard. At the end of a tiring afternoon, we found Solane Falls where we swam in the freezing water. Fishing was attempted, but not successful. A little herdboy wandered through with his cows, and he performed his best bird whistle for us. It’s still so amazing to me how talented these boys are with whistling.
The next day, super jello-legged, we headed out to Kyle and Chelsea’s village of Motete, first stopping at Ha Lejone to visit one of the remote schools Kyle and Chelsea taught English and life skills at occasionally. We peeked in, and there was no furniture whatsoever, and only a broken piece of blackboard resting on the floor. Apparently, all these remote schools have to go with donkeys to Chelsea’s school in Motete to collect food from the World Food Programme, which provides the food for all the primary schools here in Lesotho. Kyle ran up the hill to visit this boy they had met who had polio and is handicapped. They recently brought him some crutches they had found in Maseru so he could get around better, and Kyle wanted to check up on him. Then, after walking on the road alongside two herdboys (one on a horse, one on foot) and their pack of dogs, we reached Motete with plenty of daylight to spare.
The next day was Easter, so the taxis were on a weird schedule, so we just hung around Motete. The other three went on another fishing attempt as I took a nap and un-jello-fied my legs a little bit with some much-needed rest. After they got back empty handed, we saw a gathering of people who we later learned were apprehending a horse thief, who they would later make parade around the village in shame before they would probably beat the crap out of him.
John Lee and I headed out the next morning. We weren’t trying to make the 6 hour journey on the taxi to Hlotse and pay M100, so we only took the taxi M20 worth to the Kao junction where there was a big mine, where we walked for a long time waiting for a hitch to take us to the main paved road. We didn’t foresee that the previous day being Easter, there would be no one going out from the mine, as no one was probably working there yesterday, and it was still morning so no one would be leaving work for the day. Eventually, we got 2 hitches to the road: one with a mine worker in a little, squat truck going a short way down the road followed by two bulldozers to work on something, then one with a Chinese guy who passed us earlier that morning going the other way, had a meeting, then was driving back (that’s how long we were walking) and picked us up. After a very bumpy few hours in the back of his truck (John Lee rode in the cab), we made it to the highway. We flagged down a truck going our way and convinced the driver to let crouch among the crates of beer bottles and bags of peaches. After a few stops to cool down an overheated engine, we made it to Butha Buthe and got some plate food. We happened to be sitting next to our friend Adrian’s principal, who recognized John Lee from a workshop and drove us to Maputsoe. John Lee headed off for his village, and I got a ride with an old guy who stopped for eggs at an egg farm. It was amazing- 1200 chickens in one warehouse stuffed into rows and rows of little cages. The worker there filled up 2 trays by picking up eggs that had recently been laid and that had rolled into a little collecting trough. Let me reiterate that life is always more interesting when you hitch. Then, I got another ride in a big, nice truck, first having to explain to a confused ‘me (when she asked what to call me) that people call me ausi, abuti, ntate, and ‘me, but I’m in fact ausi (sister). Then she got out and it was just me, the driver, and one guy sitting with me in the back seat. This self-professed “drunkard” was popping the bottle caps off of his quarts of Maluti with his teeth, and turned out to be a harmless criminal investigator cop. He asked me for advice on how he could date a white girl. I started off by suggesting that he move to a country with more white girls. They dropped me off just south of Maseru at the Masianokeng junction, and I quickly found a sprinter and paid M10 to get to Morija, where I would be staying with Lisa and Ryan for the night. Total cost for the day: M30. Not too shabby!
The next night, I stayed with Colleen in Mohale’s Hoek, then the next morning I got a mini 4+1 taxi to my usual hitching spot. I waved down a guy in a DSTV truck (remember this for later) who kept driving when I said I didn’t want to pay for a ride. But, fortunately, I was quickly picked up by a nice guy delivering cooking oil to a big store in Quthing. I took my usual taxis to my village, and guess what? I saw that same DSTV truck at my next door neighbor’s house! The same guy was installing a satellite dish there! I went up to him and was like, “Hey, I saw you in Mohale’s Hoek. Remember me?” and his only response was “Mphe ntja.” Give me your dog. I’ll save the expletives, but I thought that was quite rude of him. I was actually glad he didn’t pick me up anyway. He was being paid to deliver a satellite dish and still wanted money to drive me? Some people are just awful humans.

On the plus side, I came back home to find about 3 surprise green beans in my garden! I love it when stuff like that happens. Looking back on it, I’m so happy I was able to do this hike, exactly a year after we had done a different hike that led us to Kyle and Chelsea’s village last Easter. It’s really the best way to explore the beautiful mountain landscape that is the crown jewel of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment