Thursday, June 16, 2016

27 April 2016: Village chillin’

                For the past 4 weeks, I’ve been surprised/proud of the fact that I’m not going stir crazy in my village due to my new resolve to be here and do stuff without PC. This week, it’s been harder to wake up, and I’m more tired earlier because the sun (all of a sudden) decided to go down like 2 hours earlier than normal. BAM, WINTER HAS ARRIVED, it says maniacally. This lethargy also points to the fact that I’m starting to get antsy being here for so long. I can feel it mostly in my jaw and my temples- a tingling in my skull bones that indicates that I’m ready to get out of here soon. I’ve almost run out of dog food and Mpesa (money in a sort of phone bank account); that’s how long I’ve been here. And adding to this is the fact that school is starting to drive me a tiny bit bananas by cancelling classes so that the netball and soccer teams can practice. And one of the other teachers whacked the stuffing out of the form As today for failing their science test. They showed me the swollen welts on their hands. Good thing the alternatives to corporal punishment pamphlet is coming.
                The girls’ club is going well. I’ve introduced secondary targets in the third class, and my bread is a big hit. Every week, I experiment a little differently (eggs make it drier, etc).
                English at the orphanage is still going strong. With the older group, we’ve been practicing describing what people are wearing. They had a workbook we were going through, but it’s gotten a bit too hard/obscure for them. Having to explain what every other thing (how do you explain a circus to kids who have never left a rural village?) is.
                I’ve worked it out, and out of the 7 weeks of school left, I have only 27 days of school days, as I’m missing a bunch for future long-weekend adventures like going to Maseru to get my new passport, a murder mystery party, and Bushfire, a music festival in Swaziland. That’s not even countin the unforetold days off for sports, snow, and days I won’t be giving exams at the end of the semester.
                The tall grass is a beautiful golden purple, and some pieces whack me in the eye, it’s so tall. The spiky-seeded plants are also releasing their spiky seeds, resulting in an always-covered Bo with these long, thin seed pods. And my shoes and pants are also constantly covered with these things

                My new method of noise control is to write down kids’ names who won’t shut up in class and keep them inside for lunch detention, which means that they have to eat their lunch in silence in the staff room while I keep watch. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s an experiment in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment