Thursday, June 16, 2016

17 May 2016: Murder Mystery

                This past weekend was just the escape I needed. I left my village and got a quiet hitch up to Mohale’s Hoek. Then I did the usual MHoek things: showered, chickened, and taxied up to Mafeteng, the next town north. I stopped at Shoprite, the big grocery store, and picked up some grilled cheese ingredients before I headed off to my friend Anthony’s house. He had been nice enough to host me as I made my way north to Maseru. On the bus to his site, I was sitting next to a guy who looked unassuming enough, but once we got talking, it was clear he knew everything about world/news current events. I could not keep up. It was quite impressive. When I got to Anthony’s house, we jammed to the new Beyoncé album and Anderson Paak (listen to Come Down. I’m obsessed.) as we made guacamole grilled cheeses. So good. Then we watched Concussion, a surprisingly good movie with Will Smith about football players and the permanent brain damage they sustain due to smashing their heads all the time.
                The next morning, I walked to the road to find a ride back to Mafeteng town. It took forever for me to find any kind of ride, but eventually a 4+1 taxi, closely followed by a combi (15-passenger taxi), stopped for me. I only started to say, “Ke ea mafe-“ I’m going to mafe-, when he cut me off, and he was like,”Fast! Get in!” I was like woah, woah, ok, and I hopped in. He sped off, saying that he couldn’t let the combi catch up because the driver would get mad that he was stealing his customers. He said that he wasn’t supposed to be driving on this road. (little 4+1 taxis are only allowed in certain areas unless they’ve specifically been hired out as “specials”). He said that he was coming back from one of these specials. If the cops stopped him, he very carefully instructed me to say that I had called him for a special to Morija (a town between Maf and Maseru), that his surname was _____ but he’d never told me his first name, that I knew to call him because of his sister named _____ who I worked with at _____ school. I tried to remember all this to go along with his elaborate scheme, but the cops didn’t end up stopping us. That is, until he got onto the main road (where he was allowed to be) where this one cop was giving him a hard time at a routine traffic stop. This cop and the driver were enemies because the cop “tried to be in love with” the driver’s wife, and the cop said he would use all his police powers to give this driver a hard time or something. As such, the driver explained that he tries to keep everything with his car scrupulously up to date so that this cop can’t catch him and won’t earn any bribe money from him.
We emerged from the traffic stop without a scratch, then the driver starts asking me about whoever I was staying with, which is pretty normal. Like an idiot, I revealed that it was a guy, not a girl, who I was staying with. After he asked some more invasive questions, I convinced him that we were only friends. As I’ve already explained many times here, in Lesotho, platonic friendships between males and females do not exist, so he was completely incredulous that I could just innocently stay at a guy’s house. He said that if a girl stayed at his house if his wife was home, it’d all be very sterile, that he’d say good night to her at night and then greet her again in the morning. But if his wife wasn’t home, it’d be a different story. Sometimes these bontate disgust me. I tried to explain that unlike a lot of Basotho men, most American men have a different set of ethical standards in which they respect women enough not to come onto them at every chance. I’m so tired of having this conversation.
Once we got to town, I was happy to pay him and get out of his taxi, then I went to the hitch spot where I quickly got into a super fast pickup going to Masianokeng, a town where the highway junctions off to the east near Maseru. I didn’t even have to talk to the two guys in the front seat because the famu music playing was too loud. A trade off I’ll gladly take. They dropped me off, and not ten seconds later, I spotted the PC SUV driving by and waved my arms for them to stop. There were 2 staff members inside who I don’t interact very much with, but they happily picked me up. I’m not sure if they a) didn’t know I’m not technically in PC anymore, or b) did know but didn’t care because staff still likes me, but hey, I’ll definitely take it. I got out at the PC office where we parted ways. Now my task would be to get to the US embassy to pick up my new personal passport. I walked there, and when I arrived, I had fun talking to the employees in Sesotho. They were asking me about my village and about what I was doing at my school, and they were shocked at the price I had to pay for a gas cylinder in a rural village. Then I picked up my new (big mama 52-pager) passport and they hole punched my old one. Cool beans. Now I’m good to travel.
My next task would be to walk to Pioneer mall for some Pick and Pay groceries and to the pharmacy downstairs to get some malaria pills for my upcoming trip to Mozambique and Malawi. I got the sketchy anti-malarials that Aline (previously a Liberia volunteer) said make you crazy and make your hair fall out, etc., but they were 1/5 the price of the ones I had taken before, the ones I got from PC medical. But now that I’m on my own, I have to pay for my own medicine and such. So I got the cheap ones. But Aline said it would be ok because I wouldn’t be taking them for very long, only a few weeks. We’ll see what happens…
That night, I was supposed to go back to Morija to Lisa and Ryan’s house, as the next day they were hosting the murder mystery party that Jen had been writing/planning. But suddenly, I got some bad news. Lisa was suddenly being medevaced and Ryan would be going with her. Sucks for her, and also sucks for us because we had lost our venue. Jen was a champ, though, and quickly convinced Taylor to let us have the party at his big house. My overnight plan also changed to staying in Mhoek with Jen, and I went to the taxi rank to get a taxi to her stop. My favorite thing about her (tiny) house is the fact that it is sort of sloth themed. She has a sloth calendar where every month, there is a new adorable photo of a sloth to seduce you. She also has a stuffed animal sloth and even sloth socks. Sloths are becoming the new trendy thing, apparently. Goodbye mustaches, hello slothies.
The next day, Saturday, was murder mystery day. And it was a glorious day indeed. After a morning run from the hotel through the field where they give driving lessons and back, and some obligatory chicken and makoenyas, we all chilled at the public bar for a bit before Jen and I headed to Taylor’s house to set up the clues, make name tags, and get into character. I would be Sush Bot, the robot butler. I borrowed one of Taylor’s seshoeshoe bow ties to go with my white button-down shirt and black pants. With my hair pulled back into a neat bun, Jen said I looked like I belonged in a hotel catering company.
Jen had written an awesome script with many characters, and as each guest arrived, I gave them their character name tags. As the butler, I was essentially Jen’s assistant/stage manager. I had to make sure that the characters were following the story as they should be, operate the light switches, dole out fake blood, and I was also in charge of playing sound effects from an app on her phone (thunder, crows, gunshots, etc.). All the people came dressed in character- from the investigator to ‘me and ntate Mosotho to Bro PCV to overenthusiastic PCV to specific PC staff members and individual departed PCVs. As the story progressed, lots of characters died, lots of fake blood was smeared on necks and faces, and the acting was superb. We couldn’t have asked for more enthusiasm from anyone involved. It was so much fun.

The next morning, after we all emerged from Taylor’s spare room where we’d piled in with our sleeping bags for the night, we tag teamed cleaning his house, then I promptly got out of there to go back home. I was stupid, thinking that getting a taxi out of MHoek would be fine for once. Wrong. I got on one taxi that shoveled the passengers onto another taxi, then onto a different taxi, which turned around and went back to town to troll for more passengers. Ugh. This just convinced me that it’s the hitch life all the way for me. That day, I reached my Basotho quota way too early, with squawking “Hi!”s and “Lekhooa!”s and some (drunk?) old ntate rambling to me about whatever the heck he was talking about in whatever language he was trying to speak. It was neither Sesotho nor isiXhosa (the languages spoken here), so maybe this was what he thought was English? I told him off in Sesotho, telling him that he wasn’t saying anything, what kind of mess are you trying to pull here? Ke eng, joale, ntate? What the heck is this, ntate? The taxis back home were sleepy and long, but I was glad to get back and take a nap. It was a crazy long weekend, but so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment