Tuesday, November 1, 2016

8 August 2016: Too many partners

This post is probably not appropriate for those younger readers I hear read my blog. But I don't really believe in censorship, so feel free to read on anyway.

           This past Saturday, I went to tutor English at the orphanage and then go to the director Jill’s house for lunch and conversation, as per usual. The current village news is that there is a house somewhere in the village where two women are basically prostituting themselves out to the truck drivers and road workers who come through the village as they dynamite and smooth out the road. One of these women is known to have HIV, and the other might. They both have husbands with jobs, so it’s not like they desperately need the money. Uhhhh, is this for real? I thought. Unfortunarely, yes.
Jill then told me about how last year when an American nurse came to visit, she went to talk to a group of women, I think in some kind of support group, to explain how HIV testing worked. Not wanting to waste test kits, she wanted to demonstrate on a woman who was more likely to have HIV. She asked people to stand up who currently have three or more sexual partners. Almost all the women stood up. No, no, she said to the woman translating. You must have translated wrong. Not anyone who has had three or more partners in her lifetime; anyone who currently has three or more partners. Nope, no translation error. Almost all the women in the room did, in fact, admit to currently have three or more sexual partners. No wonder HIV continues to spread like wildfire. In an old Basotho saying, men are like pumpkins, spreading their vines all over, and women are like cabbages, just sitting in place. But it looks like in reality, both men and women are being quite pumpkin-like.
To give another example of the problems of MCP (multiple concurrent partners), sometimes when I’m in a hitch with a man, he will ask me if I have a boyfriend or husband. Even if I say yes, in a vain attempt to stop them hitting on me by pretending I’m already “claimed” (which I also hate because it dismisses a woman’s authority to say no without excuses), they tell me that they want to be my second boyfriend. If I say that my pretend husband is American, they say I need a Mosotho boyfriend as well. Everyone seems to have a few people on the side, as “snacks” they say, to go alongside the main course. Since jobs are so scarce, oftentimes people have to move away from their families when they get a job, and that’s a lot of the reason why people have multiple partners. It’s just so normalized at this point.
During training and from talking to people since then, I have also learned that alternatives to actual intercourse (I’ll let you use your imagination here) are not really a thing here. Other than rumors of herd boys having sex with their sheep, watermelons, and holes in the ground, there’s not really a popular alternative in this culture. This could also be why the incidence of rape is also so high here.

At almost every public place, there are free condoms up for grabs to help curb the spread of HIV, but obviously just throwing condoms at people isn’t stopping all the unsafe sex and having tons of partners. They’re there, but it’s still somewhat weird to use them, and not everyone knows how. This is why I’m doing a condom demonstration for my Form Cs this week. An old campaign to help stop HIV goes off the easy-to-remember acronym ABC: Abstain, Be faithful, and Condomize to prevent the spread of STIs and HIV. Probably every kid in my Form C life skills class already knew what ABC stands for, but in practice these are not being practiced by the majority of adults here (and teens, if my Form A ausi’s pregnancy is any indication). It’s just going to take some time to change the perceptions about casual, unprotected sex and multiple concurrent partners before we see the HIV rate decrease in this region.

No comments:

Post a Comment