Wednesday, November 9, 2016

22 August 2016: I finally go to church / Beginning of the slow demise

          Let’s start with Saturday at the orphanage. After the usual English lessons, I met Annette, and older British woman who lives in the Netherlands but comes to Lesotho every year and a half, accompanied by someone. This time she brought her great nephew Andrew. I found them outside after tutoring and we all went up to the director Jill’s house for lunch. I can always count on Jill for a really nice lunch, and today it included a salad that I commented was “so pretty.” They laughed when I said that, but I was really marveling at it because I’m so salad deprived here. After eating, we had our usual visitors of boys bearing dead rats to be flushed down Jill’s toilet. Then one of the bo-ntate house fathers came over and I helped him make a list of kids Andrew should give extra lessons to. I think he was a little bit overwhelmed by our conversation about all the kids and who should be put into what group and who needs help with what. Jill’s conversations already need a lot of subtext (and for me, translating between British and American English), and since Andrew had just gotten thrown into Lesotho the day before, he was looking a little glazed over.
                As usual, Jill asked me to come to church the next day, and, as usual, I told her let’s not pretend like I’m gonna come to church, because as she knows, I’m quite averse to organized religion. To that, she replied that it’s hardly organized. I said, “I’ll think about it,” as my usual avoidance tactic, but this time I actually thought about it. I figured that I needed to go to church in my village at least once, right? Plus, I’d be able to hang out with and have fluent English conversations with my two new acquaintances. You don’t realize how far you’ll go (all the way to, gulp, church) for the chance to have an actual conversation that goes beyond greetings and the weather. This is real life, people.
                So Sunday rolls around and, after a little morning workout, I got dressed and walked down to the orphanage for church in their big multipurpose room. All the kids were there plus lots of other people from the village. There were two blue beret-wearing women up front giving a talk (from what I understood) about water, how it’s represented in the bible, etc., and probably relating it to our drought situation in Lesotho. Then, after a song, other people from other churches would come up to comment on the sermon. Jill’s 4 dogs also attended church, but I chained up Bo outside so that it wouldn’t pee everywhere and jump on everyone, a recent behavioral theme for the dog. After the service, I went and had tea and stroopwaffles (Dutch caramel waffle cookies) with Annette and Andrew.

The audience

Jill speaking and one of the house fathers translating into Sesotho

Beret ladies at offering time

Jill with Sam the dog

                Then, Andrew, Bo and I headed out for a hike up one of the mountains behind the orphanage. This crazy dog wouldn’t stop jumping all over the place and getting mud on our clothes and scattering sheep and generally being a nutcase. I’ve never apologized for something in my care so much in my life. We got up to the top of the ridge and found a “molisana oa rona,” or “our little herdboy” which is a human-sized pile of rocks, which looks like a herdboy standing at the top of the mountain if you’re looking at it from below.

The Bo Bo

The me me


                [And here, dear readers, is the beginning of the series of unfortunate events that (spoiler alert) leads to my early Lesotho demise. Pay attention.]

The next day, at school, my principal pulled me into her office to talk about the PC education director’s site visit next week to look at the new house for the replacement volunteer. He has to see it all furnished. Since the school bought the furniture in my house for their PCVs, that same furniture needs to now be in the new house. So what should we do about that? she asked. I gave her several options: 1) put my furniture in there for one day and then bring it back, 2) have the host family or neighbors put some furniture in there for once day just for the visit, or 3) leave my furniture in my current house and he can come look at it, trusting that it will be moved into the new house by the time the new volunteer needs it for site visit in November. My principal’s reply was no, no, and no. Cool. She literally had no other ideas or alternatives. I suggested asking the education director what to do, as he probably has had to deal with this same situation with other volunteers who aren’t being replaced in the same house. She said not to do that, because it would make the school look “unprepared.” Well, yeah, because you are unprepared. I was getting the feeling that she might just want me to leave the village ASAP so I would stop being such a “burden” to their effort to get a new volunteer, just get out of her hair. As such, I suggested me leaving the village in the beginning of November before the new trainees visit their sites so that they could have all the furniture there and be ready to roll. She immediately agreed, saying something typically passive like, “Yes, it might be best if you didn’t remain for that time.” I just want her to spit out what she is thinking, just tell me to leave, but this culture doesn’t allow for that kind of direct communication. So now, instead of leaving after the end of the school year in early December, I’m cutting my stay a month shorter. I really want to show Volunteer Jr. the ropes, though, so maybe I can find somewhere else to stay after I move out of my house, and still be in the village by the time they get here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment