Wednesday, November 23, 2016

17 September 2016: Starting the transition

Dear readers: please remember that I’m horribly late posting these blogs. Note the date in the title of each post. Even though my life seemed bleak when I first wrote these, just know that everything did indeed work out. Carry on!

This week I was not in the best mood, obviously. A few days ago, I went to school to teach, then decided to go right home afterward instead of waiting for lunch. I didn’t feel like hanging around for papa and cabbage. I walked up to the shop through a big crowd of old people waiting around, lining up to get their pensions. Along the way, I got called ntate once again, and I just went with it. Somehow I think I’m going to miss being called ntate, as annoying as it is, because it’s just so unique to Lesotho. Nowhere else that I’ve experienced has gender norms so established that the lack of me wearing a blanket skirt automatically gets me greeted as a man. At the shop, I asked the shop guy for some boxes so I could put my stuff in something while I cleaned out my furniture. He very happily showed me to the back room and told me to choose some. I got a couple big ones and walked back to my house with them. I had been told that my furniture would be picked up some time that day, so I hung around my house waiting. Then I messaged my principal asking when the truck would come. “Tomorrow morning, my dear,” she replied. Well ok then. For all the fuss about being ready for PC staff when they visit, we’re being very nonchalant about all this, aren’t we?
                The next morning, I explained to my host ‘me that I would be living in my house for about two more weeks until the end of the month, then I would probably move to the orphanage. She seemed pretty sad to hear that, which made me even sadder at the thought of having to leave earlier than I planned.
                The usual crew of neighbor girls came in to say hi, get homework help, buy Mpesa (money transferred via phone to buy things like airtime and electricity), etc. They saw my empty furniture all moved together against the wall and looked confused. It was impossible to try to explain my situation in English, much less in Lesotho why I’m moving the furniture out but staying there for a couple more weeks, how I’ll sleep without a bed, then when I’ll be leaving the village.
                ‘Tomorrow morning, my dear” rolled around where I, again, waited around my house for this mysterious truck to come get my furniture. I decided to go for a run with the dog to kill some time. My ausi asked me if I was afraid of dogs while I ran. I said no, because I had my dog with me. Honestly, having Bo probably causes more dogs to bark and snarl as I run by, but somehow I do feel better when it comes along with me.
                Soon enough, some dude came with his truck into my front yard. One of the other teachers and some older boys came along to load up and tie down my furniture, everything except my two school desks and chairs because the principal said that I “would need them.” What, and I wouldn’t need, say, my bed? Whatever. I was sick of trying to figure out the things that happen around here.  



                I swept and mopped my then quite empty house as a crew of three neighborhood toddlers wandered in to talk to me. Even though I can never understand 80% of what they say, they’re always very persistent in trying to keep communicating. That’s one difference between kids and adults: adults lose patience for these kinds of things where kids are more persistent. One of them came in with a big chunk of Styrofoam, which I didn’t really see as too weird because kids play with all kinds of weird trash items around here. So I’m mopping away and I glance over and notice that she’s eating the Styrofoam. “No, ausi, don’t eat that. It’s not food. You’ll be sick,” I explain in Sesotho. That may look like a nice hunk of papa, but really it’s not food.
                I finish mopping and sweeping up little Styrofoam crumbs and I see my middle ausi, nicely dressed, leaving to go to a celebration being held at the school and church for the different schools in the area to celebrate their achievements. Sadly, none of the students at my school were actually getting any awards, but the ceremony was still held at my school, with the other schools coming for the day. My task for the day, furniture moving supervision, being over, I got dressed and headed to school in the hopes that I would intercept PC staff on their way to visit the new house. I didn’t pass them on the road, so I thought they might be coming later.
At school, some boys and some other men were setting up a yellow and red tent on the netball ground. One of my Form C boys had caught a rabbit and put it in his school bag, which was providing additional entertainment for the kids, and, when it was released, for my dog. I swear, these kids always have some animal or other held captive. I was hanging out in one of the classrooms taking photos with the students waiting for the celebration to start. The tent wasn’t working at all because it was half a tornado outside, so everyone moved into the church. I caught up with my principal on the way and she said that PC had already come and gone. Dang, I missed them! I really wanted to talk to them. Oh well. I guess I’ll ask them later what they thought of the new house and, more interestingly, what they thought about my whole situation now that I left PC but was still staying in my village.


After stepping into the immensely sardine-packed church, my I-don’t-need-to-actually-sit-through-this-BS-ometer started going off, so I used that beautiful white lie, “I’ll be right back,” and escaped. I finally got home and was able to eat some of the fruit I bought from the shop in relative peace, with the nugget crew outside still trying to talk to me through my door after I’d already shooed them away. I finished that adventure by taking a long nap on my new bed: a yoga mat with a nest of blankets, sleeping bag, and pillows on top. It’s certainly not the most cushy thing in the world, but it’ll do.




                Here’s a little anecdote to lighten the mood: I’ve noticed that my dog and I have reversed roles compared to a normal American dog/owner relationship. I always get home while my dog is still busy wandering around the village, then instead of the stereotypical dog being super excited when the owner gets home, I’m always super excited when my dog finally gets home.


No comments:

Post a Comment