Wednesday, November 16, 2016

28 August 2016: Another day another wander

          Now that it’s finally FINALLY warmish (70s during the day), I’ve taken to sitting outside my house to read/write/give my ausi my kindle to practice reading Dr. Dolittle. Now my oldest ausi is alternately cutting my neighbor’s hair with a razor/scissors and sawing wood to for cauldron-pot cooking in the yard.
                I’m a bit calmer now after thinking that my principal is starting to not want me around. I had a quiet day at home, away from my senioritis-fueled students, where the biggest thing I did was go to the tap and do some laundry. Yesterday I went to the orphanage for English lessons and I went through a reading comprehension section in an old exam for the grade 7 girls to practice with. Phew, they need a lot more work. With the younger ones, they’re showing actual improvement with reading, so that’s more encouraging to see. 
                After that, I had lunch at the director’s house, then on the way back I was somehow surrounded by a crowd of kids as I was having a conversation in Sesotho with one of the house fathers. Apparently the kids didn’t have any idea that I could speak Sesotho as well as I could. They were grilling me with questions, and they even made me write Sesotho words in the dirt with a stick to prove that I could write it as well. I had to pat myself on the back, because they told me I was very good at Sesotho. Woo!
                Then my new British friend Andrew and I walked to a neighboring village called Ha Masiu, where for a good bit of the trek we walked beside my old student Tsepang, who’s not at school this year, but hopes to go back next year with an Econet (cell phone company) scholarship. He says that this year they’re sponsoring about 20 kids at my school. Now he’s a herdboy, with 60 something sheep and 8 dogs, who stay up at the cattle post in the mountains for 6 months before they come down to shear the sheep. Then they wait around 2 months for the wool to grow back enough to combat the cold, then go back up into the mountains again.
                When we finally got to Ha Masiu, we came across a joala (homemade sorghum beer) shack with some pretty drunk women inside. Andrew wanted to taste the beer, so for 2 Rand, they handed us a pitcher with a few swigs of joala in it. I’ve had it several times, so I’m used to the taste/texture, but Andrew said it was like drinking salad dressing. After asking several people for directions, we found a cool little cave with a herdboy hut just outside. My dog was having a field day chasing all the baby goats (whose butts were painted red to distinguish them from other herds) around, which the herdboy was not so happy about. As we walked back, we had an offer from a guy to drive us back to the orphanage  “in a few minutes.” We told the guy we would walk because a) “a few minutes” usually means “a few hours,” and b) the guy looked kinda drunk.
                I made it back just before sunset (I wouldn’t dare stay out after dark. My ‘me would be too worried about me.), watched a few episodes of Fargo, and crashed Then I woke up around midnight because of some thumping famu bass from my across-the-trash-valley neighbors. I went to investigate and saw a bunch of strange dogs outside, so I decided not to koko (knock knock) and tell them to keep it down because I didn’t want to barge in on what was probably just a bunch of drunk herdboys. Earplugs once again save the day.
The cave/hut

View of the valley

No comments:

Post a Comment