Tuesday, February 21, 2017

19 November 2016: South Africa- Storms River, Knysna

               On my way out of J Bay, I stopped at Storms River Mouth Park for the day. Once again, I got the SADC price no problem. I found lots of little baby rock rabbits on my way to do a beautiful Oceanside hike to a suspension bridge and to a waterfall.

Yet another selfie because, you know, solo travel

Lounging rock rabbits

Suspension bridges

I spy a deer

Orange on the trees...

...and on the rocks

Scrambling over the rocks

                Then I quickly passed through Plettenberg Bay. I didn’t really stop there, but I heard it’s also a really nice place to visit. I ended up in Knysna. Island Vibe also has a location in Knysna (“nyz-na”), but they were all booked up when I tried to reserve, so instead I ended up at Knysna Backpackers (R170/night for a dorm), which is a cute old house not too far from the town center. Knysna is basically a big bay with cliffs at the opening to the ocean called the heads. I drove to the eastern head to several really picturesque lookouts. Then I drove around an island in the bay called Leisure Island, then walked along the waterfront where I ran into some people I’d met in J Bay.





Views on and around the heads, and from Leisure Island

                The next day, I killed a bunch of time wandering around and watching people fishing before I got a mid-day cruise around the bay. It was on this big boat that basically took you to the heads and back. There were other cruises and speedboat rides that you could take even through the heads, but those were either all booked up or super expensive. The other people on board were pretty loud and obnoxious, but the views of the cliffs were really cool. Later, I drove to the nearby beach at Buffalo Bay and swam in the glorious ocean and tried to even out my awful shorts tan while trying (and failing) to concentrate on some philosophical book by Albert Camus that I had found in a previous hostel. It was too heavy for a casual beach day.

Shops at the waterfront

Boats at the docks


Long day for fishers

From the tour boat

                Then it was back to the hostel where who should be in my dorm but my ever-present vacation friend George. Since this was the third hostel we saw each other at, he said I must be following him (even though I got there first…). Then all of a sudden everyone in the hostel, including two South African guys, a German girl, George the Brit, and even a hermit-type French guy ended up in the kitchen drinking all the stuff that the Afrikaners said that they needed to get rid of before they go back to work in the next few days. Man if there’s one thing South Africans can do, it’s drink. So what would have normally been a quiet hostel night turned into a lively party in the kitchen. Then somehow someone got the French guy in an argument about cheese, which was hilarious because, being French, he was just so passionate about his opinion on different cheeses. After a while, the kitchen could not contain us, so we decided to go out into Knysna, following some people who actually lived there, and they took us to some pretty cool spots, so that was a nice ending to a fun night.

At one point I pulled one of the South African guys aside and asked him some linguistic questions. He was black, of Khoisan heritage, but he was speaking Afrikaans. I was quite confused, so I asked him about it. I had the impression that only white South Africans spoke Afrikaans. He said that the Khoisan language has all but died out, so being in a region where Afrikaans is a dominant language, they’ve adopted that as a first language. It’s also a first language for many coloured (technical term for mixed race or European/African/Asian heritage) people as well. Well, who’d have thunk it? The linguistic situation in South Africa is super complicated, but very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment