Wednesday, February 15, 2017

13 November 2016: South Africa- East London

Leaving Coffee Bay, I drove in the rain north to the main highway. Confident in my driving abilities so far, I picked up two girls  on the way to school as my first hitch passengers. Then somehow I got led to this dirt road where I had to do some serious off-roading in the grass where the road was under construction. Let me tell you- bouncing down a bad dirt road in a tiny car with tires the size of your head is not the most fun thing in the world. Then I picked up an old lady (people call grandmas “gogo” here), again used my infantile isiXhosa to greet her and ask her where she was going, and dropped her off at the highway junction. Then I drove to a town called Cintsa just to check it out. It was pretty meh, especially in the rain, but I guess worth a look since I was able to write about it. I’m trying this new thing where I write city descriptions for this website hostelz.com and get a few bucks for each one. I think it’ll help me break into travel writing if I decide to get serious about that.



                Soon enough, I got into East London, where I would be staying with my friend Colleen’s extended relatives who live there. They moved about a year ago from Germay because they just wanted to live abroad. Good enough reason for me. The family was amazing and so sweet, and I spent the afternoon playing with their dog Scooper (named after Sheldon Cooper, as they are obsessed with the TV show Big Bang Theory) and with the daughter. The father and son and I did some obligatory, post-election political talk over an amazing German-inspired dinner they cooked.
                The next day, I took the dog to the beach, then the family went out to this adorable cafĂ© called Lavender Blue where I got an awesome pear/biltong/brie/peanut brittle salad. I am in love with salads now that they are actually available. Salads in the traditional sense (and certainly not fancy salads) don’t really exist in Lesotho. Then I met up with a girl I had met in Coffee Bay at a restaurant called Sanook for dinner.
                East London doesn’t really have much going for it in terms of touristy things to do, except a pretty nice beach, but it was just so nice to be so fully welcomed into a family’s home for a couple of days after camping and solo traveling thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment