Saturday, December 31, 2016

31 October 2016: Sala ka khotso, Lesotho (Stay in peace, Lesotho)!

This morning (woah, was it really this morning? This has been a loooong day.), I got my worldly possessions together, which consist of my big backpack and a tote bag with my camping stuff, and went to the Qacha’s Nek taxi rank. A short ride later, we were at the border. I made sure to mentally prepare to argue with the border agent to give me 90 days in South Africa, and I checked to see if I still had a copy of an official letter stating that Americans get 90 days. At other border gates, especially the one at Maseru and those on the west side of the country, people have had a lot of trouble getting more than 7 days in South Africa even though we are legally allowed 90. But none of this preparation was necessary, because after I told the border guy I’d be in South Africa for about a month and a half, he gave me 90 days no problem. Sweet. Everyone got back on the taxi and enjoyed the view on our way to the closest town in South Africa, Matatiele. Once you leave Lesotho, one difference becomes very apparent: properties are protected by fences. It’s weird, since almost no one has a fence in Lesotho.
                In Matatiele, I got on another taxi to Durban for another 4 hour drive. As we got closer to the coast, the landscape got greener and more tropical-looking, with more plants and palm trees. Then there it was: the ocean! The beauty of the ocean never gets old to me. Driving into Durban was kind of a shock- tall buildings everywhere! Giant factories! So many cars and people! I definitely felt like the country mouse coming into the big city. We arrived at the Durban taxi rank and I started walking toward my hostel. I could have gotten a taxi I guess, but it was only 3km and I wanted the exercise for my stiff legs. I arrived at the hostel, sticky and sweaty from the humidity (Oh humidity, how I haven’t missed you…), and immediately took advantage of the showers. To add to my “country mouse” feeling, I shortly went to a Super Spar, which is like a mega grocery store, and had to catch my breath from all the choices. And the bakery! Omg. Maybe soon enough I’ll get used to being out of the undevelopedness of Lesotho.
                Right now, I’m sitting at a picnic table at the hostel, and the neon lights reflect, blurred by the rain drops, in the pool. It’s hitting me now that I’m on vacation, and on vacation alone. I don’t really like the “alone” part of that, but I’ve been getting better at making vacation friends, so hopefully I’ll meet some cool people to hang out with.

                I have officially left Lesotho. That `part hasn’t quite hit me yet, but I think soon enough it will. I might leave with a slightly bitter impression of my school administration and how they handled tough situations, but almost every single other experience I had in Lesotho was fantastic, I tend not to dwell on the negative, but instead take it as a reality and try to react to it in the best possible way, making the best of a situation I can’t change. That being said, overall I know I’ll have vastly positive memories of Lesotho. So sala ka Khotso, Lesotho (stay in peace, a kind of formal farewell phrase). All I can say is that it’s been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment