Thursday, December 22, 2016

22 October 2016: Selling my hair / leaving the village

After photographing all over the village, I went back to school and found one of my Form Cs who I’d been conspiring with. I walked up to him, half smirking, and unslung my backpack and took out my ponytail. Yes, readers, the ponytail that had been cut off my head two years ago. I kept it. This student and I had been talking about how I might go about selling the thing, as I heard that I could get some decent cash money for my ponytail of lekhooa (white person) hair. This being one of the last days I’d be in the village, I decided that I would just sell it to him, who could then turn around and sell it to this ‘me he knows who is a traditional doctor. He only had R12 on him, which he gladly gave me, because he said he could probably get at least 50, if not several hundred rand for my hair. Does this count as an income-generating activity for my village?
                The day before I left the village, I prepared by packing, burning yet more trash, giving away more things I wouldn’t need and giving the cherished orphanage staff members American flag pins and thanking them for everything. One of the bo-‘me who works in the kitchen, and who was also my neighbor next to my host family’s house, was especially sad. She was the one who had given me my puppy, was always so kind to me, and was eager to feed me any time I came to the orphanage to do English lessons. I went to give her a hug, but she kind of pushed me off because Basotho don’t really do hugs, and I think she was embarrassed that she was starting to cry. I’m gonna miss her so much!



                On my last day, I gave the key to the visitor’s house to this same ‘me, who was in the kitchen giving peanut butter-smeared papatas to the kids for breakfast. She dug around in the pile for an especially good-looking one and gave it to me as I left. I walked across the ridge and over to the taxi stop for the last time.



One last hike with the ever-photogenic Bo Dog

My Ausi and another girl at the mokhukhu shop they work at

My new house for a couple weeks at the orphanage


The decorative rondavels where the boys live

A peek inside the old shepherd school, where herdboys could take classes because they were missing school due to herding. 

Another one of the houses, this one outfitted with a solar water heater

A view of my school from below the cliff. If you look carefully, you can see the students lined up for morning assembly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment