Thursday, December 22, 2016

23 October 2016: Hilariously shipping a box / start of being a Lesotho nomad

                My next stop after leaving my village was to Quthing camp town to finally ship that dang box of mine (see “shipping” post for the struggle that was trying to ship it a few weeks before). I made sure to bring enough cash with me this time. At the post office, I endured a downright comical process of wallpapering my box with R1623 of stamps, the highest denomination of stamp being R5. So here I am, taking a glue stick to entire pages of stamps and slapping them on the top and each side of this box, which is also almost entirely covered by red duct tape at this point just to keep it from falling apart. I told the post lady that in the US, they can just print one stamp with the total amount on it. “Oh, we’re far, far from that,” she said. I really hope it all works out and that this dang box arrives alive. I did get a tracking number though, so hopefully that’ll lessen the chances of it being totally lost in the ether. 



Finally free of that burden, I walked out of town and quickly found a hitch to Mohale’s Hoek with an architect guy who pointed out this skeleton of a building that he designed. The whole time I’ve been in Lesotho, that frame has been just like that, never being built on, but he didn’t seem to find it too problematic.
                After a couple days doing the usual shower/chicken/internet in Mohale’s Hoek, I got a taxi to the town to the north, Mafeteng, then got on another taxi to my friend Jeff’s site, where I’d be spending a few days. Yeah, I was out of my village, but I wanted to do kind of a farewell tour and go to a few friends’ houses before I left for my Southern Africa wanderings.
                Hanging out with Jeff usually results in spontaneous music-making and/or getting into some kind of hilarity, mostly because he goes nowhere without his ukulele or bass, and because he can just instantly make friends with anyone, this “anyone” usually leading to some adventurous situation. This time, it proved true on both accounts.
                It was a Saturday, and normally at Jeff’s school, they have Saturday study, which consists of some students showing up to school to do some extra lessons. But mostly, Jeff is the only teacher there. It was exam time for the students taking their national exit exams, so the Form Cs and Es were looking for help studying for their upcoming math(s) exam. I went in to help the Form Cs, since I’d never taught Form E before, and we went through a bunch of questions on an old exam. I thought it went well, and was confirmed of that fact when some students came over to Jeff’s house later that day and thanked me for helping them, and that they had understood well what I had reviewed with them. Ah, I kind of missed teaching right then, being away from teaching at my own school for a few weeks at that point.
                Then our pal Ben showed up and told us about the sh*tstorm happening in his village, the details of which I won’t go into here, but which forced him to vacate his village for at least a few days, leading him to stay with Jeff. As soon as he arrived, we got working on what we had been excited to make: a podcast. Now, what we call a “podcast” here among the volunteers is mostly just a long and rambling voice note, mostly on a specified topic, broadcast in our Whatsapp groups. Jeff had taken the concept to the next level with actual production and editing and sound mixing, leaving the rest of us in the dust, and I wanted to make a legit podcast with him. Our podcast, which I think I posted here a long time ago, was about Martin Gray Marvin Gaye’s song “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and how it’s really about a mountain-loving pig and how the whole concept is just a sham. Have a listen, if you haven’t. It’s great.
                So there’s the music-making (our podcast did include original musical interludes), and here’s the hilarious situation. One night after some skillet pizza-making, we followed the sound of drumming to the chief’s house, which was for the chief’s daughter’s first birthday party. We got there and the mofumahali (female chief/chief’s wife) took me into this big tent that was set up near their house. What was happening inside was an important cultural celebration, and only married women with children were allowed to go in, so I felt very privileged to peek in. I have been sworn to secrecy as to exactly what the women were doing in there, but I will tell you that I sat down next to one ‘me (who was explaining to me what was going on, and spitting all over me whenever she opened her mouth) and watched the secret dance that the women do at these one-year-old birthday parties. The chief later explained to me that everyone has a big one-year party for babies, and that it’s very important. Other birthdays don’t really matter so much, though. What goes on in this tent is a closely-guarded secret kept from men. Just to see, I asked some men standing outside what they thought was going on inside, and they said that they had no idea, just some secret women’s rituals that they were not allowed to know about. This kind of thing goes both ways, though. When boys go to initiation school, they are also sworn to secrecy about what goes on up on the mountain for those few months, even to other boys who haven’t been.

                After I left the tent, Ben, Jeff, and I went into the chief’s house and we were sitting on buckets/water containers and just talking with the chief and some of his friends. As is typical of Basotho, they totally didn’t believe me that I was just friends with Jeff and Ben, and not either married or otherwise involved with either (or both) of them. And that just about covers the funny situation side of things, other than some punny photos we took:

Bassin' in the basin 




No comments:

Post a Comment