Sunday, May 1, 2016

8 February 2016: This year’s classes

            It’s the 3rd week of school, but only my 5th day of class. I went only 2 days the first week, and 2 days the 2nd week. The teachers switched up the schedule again. Mondays, I go from 7am to lunch at 1pm with only one period off. I have every class on Monday: Math with form C during their morning study period, then another class with them first period. Then one class free, double B math, break, A computer, B computer, and C life skills. I’m exhausted. Let’s run through the classes, shall we?

                C math- starting at 7:00 during their “study period” at 7:00 before classes actually start. Today I just ran through some hard problems the other math teacher had given them

                First period C math- I gave them some review problems doing stuff with negative numbers. It’s rough because I didn’t get through everything with the form Bs last year and the form C repeaters aren’t really used to me yet. It’ll work out, though.

                Free period- I decided what I would teach for B math and quickly made some anatomical diagrams of reproductive systems for life skills.

                Double B math- I put them in groups today. There are 40+ of them, so I thought groups would help with classroom management. I also gave them index cards on which I give them points for various things. They’re working out really well so far and are encouraging lots of participation. We’ll see if that continues. The first half of the class was sorting out the groups, making group names, and figuring out where each group would sit. The second half was introducing significant figures.

                A computer- I wasted a bunch of time by having the ones who knew they paid for computer write their names in a list. They’re still such bug-eyed, scared little mice, way too obedient for their own good. It’ll fade soon enough. Then I reviewed the parts of a computer on the board again. With 20 minutes left, I took the ones on the list and just made them turn the computer on, practice using the mouse, open Word, and type their names. It’s gonna be hard at first with them, just like it was with last year’s form As, but patience now will pay off later.

                B computer- Today they practiced typing with this typing game program. They were all very focused today. Easy.

                C life skills- we decided together what topics they wanted to learn the week before, and I decided that whatever we learned, the first thing they would need to know was basic anatomy. Today, using the diagrams I had sketched up, we went through the female reproductive system. They had lots of really good questions, too. I think it’s gonna be a really good class this year.

 

In other news, today I handed out some of the TAP [PC’s tuition assistance program to help smart but poor kids pay for secondary school] scholarships from last year. A few days ago, I also went to the orphanage to talk to Jill about my secondary project idea- an assertiveness/self-defense kind of club. She thought it was a good idea. I think I’m gonna guinea pig my life skills girls first, then if that goes well I’ll have them help and be peer educators for other students or for other community members or whoever. I also agreed with Jill to come to the orphanage and tutor some primary kids twice a week with English or math or whatever they needed. With these things in the works, I finally feel like I’m doing something with my life here.


One of my awesome form Cs Bolelwa


She even wanted to take a photo with sweaty me post-run. 

Review problems before a test

No comments:

Post a Comment