Sunday, May 1, 2016

15 February 2016: Random happenings

                Well…what ‘s going on in my life? Now the power’s out and the cell network is down, so after I did a cool yoga video and my computer died, I read Marathon Man by candlelight as it poured outside. This past Friday at school, it was only me and the other math teacher. I was about ready to kill all the other teachers. Last Friday it was the same thing- most teachers gone on Friday for the weekend. It’s so not fair to the students. I asked them about it and they hate it too. This and the fact that the teachers are planning to leave next week on Thursday to go somewhere like a retreat as a reward to the teachers whose classes did well on the JC (form C exit exam) last year. But all the teachers are going because everyone needs “motivation.” Whatever. I refuse to go along and seem to support this absenteeism as they pat themselves on the back for whatever they think they accomplished. Plus I need at least one weekend to myself and to relax. Honestly I’d be miserable on a trip with them. It’d be super awkward at least. No thanks. 

This past weekend, I went to Quthing to use the internet to do TAP scholarship stuff, post videos, post a blog, and research vacations. Hanna and Melinda, the new Qu-things, also happened to be there in town too, our entire tiny district sitting in this tiny back office of the hotel that is our new VRC (volunteer resource center). 

Outside, I can hear my ‘me trying to make Bo sit (she thinks it’s hilarious that I taught my dog to sit), with no success, it sounds like.

Anyway, I stayed a night at that hotel in town, which was a mistake because there were fleas and mosquitoes biting me all night, plus the bar right behind my falling-apart room was blasting music all night long. In the morning, I bought a big 7kg bag of dog food at the machina shop for about M75, but it was an ordeal to haul it back up to my house.

What else…since Lea is still in the US for at least another few days, I have moved my friendly energies toward Jen. I’m helping her with this murder mystery party she’s planning. I’m super pumped about that; it’s gonna be fun. She and I were also reading Harry Potter 7 at the same time. I just finished it last night, staying up way past my normal sleep time, reading it on my kindle. It’s so intense! Plot twists! Snape! Everyone’s dying left and right! Ah, so good.

On Friday, I went running between classes, and I lost the dog partway through. I was looking for it all over after school, but then I found it at my house when I got home from school. What a smart little nugget. It knows its way around the whole village now. It’s so independent and low maintenance. No lost dog signs would ever be needed around here, as Basotho dogs are quite self-sufficient.

 

10 February 2016: Sick

                

                16 months down. Not bad.

                I still haven’t been to school for more than two days in a row. Today, I’m taking a sick day because of my stomach. Yesterday, I ate some weird things, so it could have been anything. My trusty pee bucket has seen a little vomit this morning. You’re welcome for that image, readers. But this is real life. Back to bed it is. 

                Turns out I’m not the only one with digestive issues. Yesterday I noticed white, flat, inch-long worms in my dog’s poop and squirming around. I went to the agricultural guy and told him, and he was like “…the dog looks fine” as if having tape worms was completely normal and acceptable. But I was like, “No, it’s not fine. It has worms.” And he was kind of like “ok, fine,” and gave the dog a shot. “Ea sukulisa,” he pointed out. It is causing difficulties. Yep.


And now for a segment I'd like to call "The Village People." As much as I would have liked to teach them all how to sing "YMCA," I think it would have been completely lost on them...

So yeah. I was just wandering around asking people (or in most cases, people asking me) for a photo. 


He stopped and asked me to "shoot" him and his horse


2 little farts, messing around 

Neighbor girls. Too cool for you. 

One of my Form Bs posing in front of her house 

Cooking papa outside

Herd boy swagger

Barefoot and happy 

Just chillin 



No comments:

Post a Comment