Sunday, May 1, 2016

24-27 January 2016: Back to Ha Makoae for school to start

                After leaving Katie’s house, I had just been lying here at my friend’s house all day. I’m wasn’t feeling 100%, but more than that, it was supposed to rain all day, and I didn’t want to travel/hike up my mudslide of a hill in this weather. I’m still kind of snotty from being semi-sick. The next day was the first day of school. I told my principal I’d just go to school in the afternoon after I got to the village. Surprisingly, she said she was doing the same thing. Phew- in the clear. Though from experiencing the first day of school last year, I knew that the first day, they were only going to do registration, books, cleaning, etc. No worries, no stress. 

                That day, I went to town, had a good workout at the hotel, took a shower, and commenced what will now be known as Sugar Day. Here’s the backstory: Jen and I have a running bet until we leave Lesotho, that I’ll get a visible 6 pack and that she’ll lose 20 more pounds and stop smoking for 2 months. Whoever doesn’t make it has to give up their last living allowance (~R2500) to the other person. High stakes, people. Since the end date is pretty far in the future, we have decided to do a mini challenge to get going, that will last for the first quarter of school. I can’t eat any (added) sugar or papa, and she has to drink only 2 beers a week or something. I don’t remember the exact number. Anyway, this would start on the first day of school, so I was taking advantage of my day in town, eating candy, ice cream, yogurt, etc. etc. 

                I wish I could say that I were excited for school to start for reasons other than me being bored out of my mind. I moseyed on down to my village after buying foods and whatnot. I got off at the school with my big backpack and carrying 2 flats of eggs from town. I was legitimately happy to see the students again. The teachers, meh. They were in the staff room working on the timetable (I still think it’s funny that they call it a timetable and not a schedule). They had me down for 27 classes! Beezus! That was way more than any other (actually hired and paid) teacher had. I’m a volunteer for bog’s sake! I’m not supposed to be the pillar holding up the entire school. The next day, I talked with my principal and the other math teacher about me teaching fewer classes, so now I’m down to 20. Up from 18 last year. I’m teaching B math and co-teaching C math, and I also have A and B computer and C life skills. Seeing as that I was legitimately going stir crazy sitting at school last year for hours and hours between classes having nothing to do, I told my principal that I only wanted to teach in the mornings before lunch so I could leave to go do other things in the community and study for the GRE and do other PC stuff. I can tell the other teachers might resent me for this. I can tell because I’ve been here for over a year and I CAN UNDERSTAND YOU WHEN YOU SPEAK SESOTHO RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, OK? But they’d never tell me to my face because this is such a passive aggressive society. But I can still play dumb and pretend nothing’s wrong, right? Cool.

                Explaining my new papa-less life was confusing for the teacher who was dishing up lunch. She was explaining it to another teacher in Sesotho, and I heard the word “diabetes.” No, I corrected. I don’t have diabetes. I’m just tired of papa. Apparently, it’s unfathomable not to eat a starch with a meal. Even when I said I had brought some extra peanuts and hard boiled eggs to eat with the moroho the school served up. I know starches like papa are cheap and filling, so they’re essential for most people, but somehow Basotho habits die hard. 

The Bo Bo emerges from his cave

My little ausi Khahliso

Oldest ausi Palesa posing with my garden

Me and my moroho

My 'me emptying a bucket



No comments:

Post a Comment