Sunday, May 24, 2015

19 April 2015: Musings from my (warm) bed

                I’m laying here all huddled up in my bed, wearing sweats and nestled under both my sleeping bag (unzipped open, my usual bed covering) and that ugly maroon and yellow blanket. It’s a lazy day, being the weekend. It’s starting to get cold, so being inside protects me from the wind, but being outside shows me the warmth of the sun, something so important in a place as dry as this is. It’s been about a week and a half since I got back from vacation, and I already miss it so much. I think I’m addicted to travelling in the sense that it probably gives my brain dopamine or some other “happy chemicals,” and now I’m on some sort of adventure withdrawal. Some on the hike said that this was the best vacation ever taken. It’s cool that I can be a part of people’s best times. I’ve found that it’s most often the people you’re with make up the bulk of the happiness, and we ended up with a pretty rad group of people. Before I get too caught up in wanting to jet off somewhere else, let’s move on, shall we? Yes? Good.

                Adventures ‘round the old homestead: This morning, my ‘me killed a little mouse by whacking it with a stick. It was running around outside my rondaval. It wasn’t trying to enter my house, just living its little happy life outside. But then my ‘me hands me a stick and expects me to help her corner it or something. I don’t want to kill it. Despite this silent wish, she relentlessly whacked that thing until it was twitching. Nice image, I know. Let’s move on once more.

                At school, I continue to be out of the loop for most everything, including a concert. I was informed of this basically as it was happening. This concert was a fundraiser where people pay for someone to sing something or do something else, then the nominee either does the thing or pays more than the first person. I ended up having to dance with the school choir as they sang. Nothing big, just like one two three kick to the left, one two three kick to the right. But I may have hammed it up a little bit, and the students were laughing so hard. After this display, I went back to sitting at the back, supposedly watching the door? I don’t know. But I let a few students escape because that’s exactly what I wanted to do myself. Run free, kids. Run while you can. The point is, I am trying to remedy the non-communication with a calendar I put up next to the clock book to mark events like this or when someone’s going to decide to cancel school after lunch for some idiot reason.

                In other news, my garden is bursting with…….leaves. It’s three different kinds of leafy greens- mustard spinach, Swiss chard, and English rape. I really don’t want, nor can I eat all of, this moroho [the Sesotho word for any kind of leafy plant like these]. I eat some every day, mostly mixed into scrambled eggs, but it’s still so much. I probably should be watering it more often, but I don’t generate enough gray water to do that and my lazy but doesn’t want to collect more water from the tap. 

Later today, I’m venturing over to the orphanage to each gymnastics to the older kids. Last week, the first time, went pretty well. A lot of them are pretty good already. I think the director wants me to focus on the conditioning aspect, as she thinks that some of the kids are a little overweight. It was funny to hear that, as I’ve only hear Basotho give complements about fatness. Being British, she has a bit of a different worldview.



No comments:

Post a Comment