Saturday, March 7, 2015

Small thoughts 5

The PC says that the trend is for guys to lose weight and girls to gain weight. I'm definitely losing weight, mostly muscle. Boo. I don't really understand how it's possible to gain weight here, unless you're bingeing on papa or something, which is impossible because blech. Maybe if you just eat peanut butter and fried makoenyas all day you could gain weight...

Taxi name: "ambitious." As in, it's ambitious that you try to pack 22 people into this 15 seater van. 

Unlike during training, when I get back to the U.S. I'm gonna have to try to remember that it's not normal for like four people to share something like a spoon or a cup at the same time. 

I'm watching Orange Is The New Black and the inmates are complaining about having to pee in a bucket bc of no plumbing for one night. Story of my life: even though I don't like to use it, I do have a pee bucket standing by. Prison is supposed to be awful, but that looks like pretty sweet digs from where I'm sitting.

Apparently Maseru is the 6th most dangerous city in the world and #1 in Africa in terms
of homicides? That's actually hilarious.

Text from Colleen:
"The sound waves of this ramped up bass of this famu are penetrating to my bladder and making me have to pee even more."

Dear Small Clothes Gods,
Why are my socks disintegrating?
Love,
The Sush

My gymnastics callousey hands are almost turning into baby soft hands for once in my entire life. Noooo

It's weird not finding long hairs that I have shedded all over everything I own. Now I just occasionally find little ones. 

My hair is getting kind of mulletey at the back. Good thing I'm in a place where no one knows that you're supposed to make fun of people with mullets. So I have deftly avoided any Billy Ray Cyrus-related teasing.
I highly recommend any fashion experiments in rural Africa. You look weird anyway, so any further weirdness isn't going to register. 

I learned why old people here ask white people for candy. Normally you'd think its only the kids who want candy, but no. I've been asked for candy by random old people too. It's because when the Christian missionaries were here, they'd give candy to the people who went to church. Bribing religion with sugar! It's been long enough that the old people still probably remember that, and associate white people with candy. People expect my pockets to be overflowing with candy at all times. No. Go away. 

Dilemma: not all my students turn in their homework, which is problematic, but if they all did it would take me twice as long to grade it.

I just took a piece of crumpled paper from a girl who asked to leave bc I thought she was passing notes with it or something. Turns out it was blank and I realized she was probably planning on using it as toilet paper. Whoops.

I finished my garden and 2 different people gave me food today. Life is good. 

If there were a national peach eating contest, I would be a strong contender.

Ugh Lesotho is about to explode with a new election and all the rest of the world cares about is some damn dress whose color no one can agree on. Priorities? No? Ok.

Inspired by my diet being at least half peaches these days, I am announcing the candidature of Sushi for Prime Minister of Lesotho. As a write-in for tomorrow's election, of course. Platform: solve national hunger (for one month out of the year, starting in at least 2 years until the tree can get big) by giving everyone a peach pit to plant. My party is called APC: all peach congress. I'll just make the army and police put their battling aside and come together to make a nice peach pie, and then they'll share it with some ice cream. World peace. 
I have just been informed that this is exactly what Johnny Appleseed did to try to solve hunger. Julie Peachpit doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Jambo Juice: Africa's premium frozen smoothies. 

Several of my dreams have included having to frantically drive a car whose brakes barely work. Hmm.

The #1 song on the day I was born was "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams. 

New idea: while the rest of the country is distracted by election madness, the 2 southern districts of Lesotho, Quthing and Qacha's Nek, should secede and create their own country: the Qonfederacy. We will leave a thin border to the south with Lesotho so that we will be a minuscule country inside a tiny country inside another country. We will even have our own qurrency and our own quisine. Maybe even our own lanquage- only clicks.

I don't have to pee all day until suddenly there is a big downpour, THEN I feel the call of the latrine. Which is outside. In the rain. Gahh.

'Thabane was in high spirits when he voted. “My opponents will never praise me, and I am not going to praise them myself — that’s politics," he said. "You don’t praise your enemy in politics, you pull him down and you pull off his pants so women can laugh at him, so tighten your belt if you are in politics. Here in politics, we do unto others as they do unto us.” ' What a poet. 

I'm looking at these kids' faces while I give the PC-issued pre test (they will take the same test at the end and see how much they learned.) and some of them are looking at me like "wtf am I supposed to do with this? How could you?"

I planted my garden five days ago and now I have baby sprouts emerging from the dirt! Wooo!

I ran on the road with the students after school today because they are training for some district competition soon. The other teacher foolishly said that I should be the pacesetter, but most of the students, especially the tall boys, zoomed ahead. I am so pooped! Most of them were running in their school uniform (skirts or pants and button down shirts) and their stiff leather school shoes, too. And some of them were grabbing peaches off the trees along the way and eating them as they ran.

They just announced Mosisili as the new prime minister and every woman is yelling. Even the little girls are yelling in emulation of their mothers. People here are obviously very happy. The happy, yet somehow eerie ululations are reverberating through the hills. 

My village is going cray (screaming, barking, dancing, whistles, famu) and my ausi just asked me to go run with her tomorrow morning at 5. Guess I won't be getting much sleep.

This is the second time I've woken up to realize that before I went to bed I had closed a dragonfly inside my laptop.

A chicken was sitting on the ground outside against my front door. I tried to shoo it away so I could close my burglar bars, but instead of being skittish like normal chickens, it very forcefully just pushed its way into my house through the barely open door. I quickly put my boots on and succeeded, against its strange determination to stay inside my house, to scoot it across the floor and out the door. Dumb bird.





No comments:

Post a Comment