Tuesday, October 18, 2016

1 August 2016: No gas, no electricity, no school

                Yesterday, as I was cooking a well-thought-out brunch of potato and egg hash, my gas ran out. That and the electricity being our and the cell network being sporadic at best meant that I was 0 for 3 for a lazy Sunday. I started to take my empty gas cylinder up to the path with the wheelbarrow and my ‘me said I should take it to the shop down the hill by the road instead. My oldest ausi helped me carry it down on her way down to the orphanage for church (once a month, they have church services there), and my ‘me said she’d be back from church to help me carry up the new cylinder at 2pm. So I went back up to my house, took a nap, and at 2, I woke up and started down the hill. I got the new tank at the shop and put it out on the road, waiting for my ‘me. I sat there until 3pm, by which time I was sick of waiting. I heaved the 20kg cylinder up onto my shoulder, then found that the best way to carry it was across my upper back/shoulders. It was pretty tough to carry up my hill, which normally takes 15 minutes to go up if I’m not carrying anything, but not impossible. After taking a few breaks on the way up, I made it up to my house. Only then was I able to finish cooking my hash, which was the goal of this whole endeavor. That extra effort made it taste even more delicious. When my ‘me came to koko (knock knock) on my door to say sorry she hadn’t helped me because she had a meeting after church, I lied and said that I had found other people to help me take the cylinder up. I knew that if I told her I’d taken it by myself, she’d have felt really bad.

                It’s still freakishly cold, being the middle of winter, and I have a new anti-cold-coming-into-my-house method. I put two big safety pins on one side of my rug and I hang it over the door, which has lots of gaps and lets the cold air in. It seems to work really well.


                This morning, being Monday, was supposed to be the first day of school after winter break. I got up and went to school, only to be told by the groundskeeper that there’s no school because of the snow (which melted a week ago), and that school might open tomorrow. Or, according to my oldest ausi in Form B, who saw one of the other teachers yesterday, said it might even not open until next week. Soooo no one knows when school will actually start? Awesome. This allows no one to plan and make use of their time. But time isn’t valuable here, so no one but me seems to care. But I guess today wasn’t all a loss. Since I was already over by the big shop next to the school, I bought some flour and went home and made tortillas for egg and peri-peri sauce tacos. Those delicious little bundles made everything much better.

Tacooooo

Lesotho Food Price Subsidy- since the drought, the price of staples like papa flour have doubled, so the government is subsidizing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment