Monday, August 29, 2016

"Objectified," a blog post by my friend Aline


Aline perfectly captures the issue of Basotho men objectifying women here. The kind of things she experiences are enough to make her not want to leave her house sometimes. Although I get annoyed at the fact that I am occasionally mistaken for a man, a lot of times I am thankful for it. Sometimes when I'm in town, not in the mood with dealing with men's BS, I put on my herdboy hat in hopes that I will be mistaken on purpose, just to avoid the kinds of comments and conversations she's talking about. That being said, I fully admit to being very lucky that I can do that. Others can't exactly cover up their female-ness so easily, and the struggle, as they say, is real. Props to Aline for staying strong and enlightening others about the fact that this normalized behavior is unacceptable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment