Friday, August 12, 2016

10 June 2016: Nearing the end of the first semester


                After I got back from Bushfire, my school started giving exams. So far, I’ve given two out of three. I gave the form B exam and paper 1 for form C. I have a gap of a few days where I’m not giving exams, so I decided to leave my village for a few days to get some business done, as well as do some grocery shopping, and of course meet up with the usual suspects. Paper 2 will have to wait until after I get back, then I just have to grade it, then I’m done done done with the semester.
                On Tuesday, I gave the form Cs their paper 1, then after school I stayed late to copy paper 2 so it would be ready for next Monday when I would be back at school. I graded like a fiend that night and put all the scores in my computer, then early Wednesday morning, I dropped them off in the deserted form C classroom, then caught the taxi to Quthing as it came down the road. I stopped at the immigration office in Upper Moyeni to get my residence stamp transferred into my new passport. Good, now I won’t have to carry around 2 passports anymore. I decided to grab some enormous makoenyas [fried bread balls] and a banana from the ladies who set up shop outside, who called me ntate (thanks, herdboy hat). My new kick is making makoenya sandwiches. I’ll rip open the little bread ball and stuff in whatever is convenient- a piece of banana, Russian (sausage), cheese, whatever. It’s all delicious.
                After stopping at the hotel down the hill to attempt to upload photos using the non-functioning wifi, I headed north from town to get a hitch to Mohale’s Hoek. I got a ride with some oil delivery guy who picked me up a few months before. I didn’t even flag him down. I was walking along a curve, and I thought it unwise to try to stop cars there, but he stopped anyway because he recognized me and stopped. Cool beans! I love it when stuff like that happens. I got into Mohale’s Hoek and finished uploading my stellar Bushfire photos with their hotel’s actually-functioning wifi while I hung out with Jen and Taylor at the hotel’s public bar (as opposed to their private bar, which is only open to hotel guests I guess, and is much more expensive). I ventured out with Taylor to this quite unreliable tshirt shop to find him a Mohale’s Hoek-themed shirt to bring back to the US with him. He successfully bought one saying Mzuku, which was the original name for Mohale’s Hoek. After a cringe-worthy, but very necessary, shower with only a trickle of glacial water, Jen and I headed back to her village. On the taxi, the dude in front of us wouldn’t stop just staring at us, and the guy next to Jen thought I was a 16 year old boy. Cool. Thanks again, herdboy hat.
                The next morning, I went with Jen to her school. I watched her Standard 7 in her Life Skills class give presentations on their “findings” of a survey they gave to people in their respective villages about HIV. I have heard legends, but I witnessed first-hand how difficult it is to communicate with primary students in English. Jen had to speak super slowly, and her box talk game is strong. She says she especially struggles to communicate with the grade 4s. I can’t imagine. I don’t think I could keep any shred of sanity if I taught at a primary school. When the students greeted us, it was so robotic. “How are you?” Jen would ask. “WE-ARE-VERY-FINE-THANK-YOU-HOW-ARE-YOU-TEACHER.” they’d respond. Jeez.
                After those presentations, we escaped (to the disappointment of her teachers, even though she literally had nothing else to do at school, since they had already given exams and this life skills class was the only thing she taught all day) into town for some chicken baskets and groceries. I also had a little incident where I sliced my hand with a pocket knife whose tip snapped off and the knife went diving into my thumb while trying to pry open Jen’s broken computer charger. Thankfully, I was able to wrap it up pretty fast, but let this be a warning that this is what happens when you try to do jungle surgery on electronics.

We returned and met Cassie on the road, and Jen made some awesome black bean and cheese empanadas for all of us. I’ve gotta get more creative with my cooking! I have the same 4 meals of lentils/rice/soya mince/eggs with whatever vegetables I have (mainly onions) on repeat. Boring. The good news is that now that it’s orange season, I’m absolutely stuffing myself with the things. I probably won’t get scurvy after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment