Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Small thoughts 20

Taxis: Beg For Mercy, Montana, Prince, Dream Again No. 2, Dalazium

One of my teachers said that I should have her name, Mamotsamai (mother of one who goes/travels), because I'm always traveling to different places. That fits me so much better than being named after the princess! If only my host family in training had known. 

I've got hot sauce in my bag, swag. 

They don't call the actual tests "tests" or "exams" here, but "question papers."

Well, if nothing else, I will have left here knowing how to distinguish different animals' poops. 

Today, during exams, one of the form Bs taking a business exam (but who is really good at math) switched exams with one of the form Cs taking my math exam. The grades are all mixed up to prevent people with the same test sitting next to each other. I noticed early on, but just kept quiet. I kept a close eye on them so they wouldn't be able to switch back. I waited until the end and watched them absolutely squirm and make up excuses for needing to go get a sharpener and an eraser and go to the toilet until I asked them to both come up and turn in their exams at the same time. They knew they were toast. Then BAM I hit them with the zeros. Too bad, so sad. Cheaters never win, especially when you're really bad about hiding it. 

Today I was mistaken for a 16 year old boy. Cool...

"Ah yes, the lesser-known, historical three eights compromise."

I came home from a few-days trip to Mohale's Hoek expecting to be jumped on by my dog, who is normally so excited to see that I've returned home, but my little abuti informed me that it had gone to my school by itself, probably looking for lunch. I wasn't too surprised because I think I would have done the same. 

New hitting-on-the-white-girl technique: today some guy sitting next to me on the taxi typed out something on his phone like "Hi. Sorry to bother you, but can I give you my contacts?" and tapped me ever so slightly on the arm and discretely showed me the message. I just looked sideways at him and shook my head. Good try, but no.

As I was walking through Quthing town carrying a big 7kg bag of dog food, a police officer stopped me and asked me all kinds of questions about my dog. It's black. A male. One year old. Short hair. No, I'm not taking it to America with me. I'm never sure if when people do this they're genuinely interested in the topic they're asking about, they just want some excuse to talk to me, or they want to practice their English. 

When it's storming, Basotho say not to smile because the lighting is attracted to your teeth. 

I'm walking on the side of the road looking for a hitch, and this taxi stops and asks where I'm going. I tell them I'm going to Mafeteng, but say I have no money (which was partially true- I didn't have much on me at the time until I could get more when I went back home), and the conductor tells me ok, get in, it's free. Sweet. Then this happens AGAIN going to Mohale's Hoek. One of them even gave me a receipt that said "free." Maybe it's because it was Sunday, or maybe it was because it was the King's birthday, but these nearly empty taxis were feeling quite generous. People are great. 

A whatsapp conversation snippet:
Me- A woman siting next to me on the taxi, who told me that she studied ICT (information communication technology) just asked me how to download Whatsapp on her phone. Lord.
Jen- And there you have it. 
A teacher from another school asked my m'e to ask me to do her college homework for her. 
I'm pretty sure...it's like that. 
They have the degrees...but they have no idea what they are or what they're supposed to mean. 

Electricity puns. Watt volt you do without them?

Happy birthday to the Bo dog! I'm not sure exactly when it was born, but I'm guessing some time in June last year. He's almost as big as a real dog now. So proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment