Sunday, November 1, 2015

Small thoughts 13

Taxis: Submarine, Easy Does It, Argument, Paradise, God Bless Me, Sorry Guys, Green Pepper, Leja Ntja [dog eater]

How did I spend my Sunday, you ask? Oh, mostly chasing the pig around trying to get it to stop attempting to eat my dog's food. Maddening. 

How does the moon cut his hair? Eclipse it! 
Yeah I got up at 3am to watch the lunar eclipse and experimented photographing it and the stars for like an hour. But then the darn thing set behind a mountain. It was still really cool, though, all glowey red. 

It happened. I was standing squished in the aisle of a big taxi and the guy sitting next to me threw up. In a bag, thankfully, but ugh.

The business teacher was checking students' notebooks with them when a bunch of them started crowding around her desk, and she was trying to make them kind of line up, saying, "One at a time. One fool at a time!"

A bunch of packaged foods here advertise that they are "tartrazine free!" What the heck is tartrazine, an why should I be so afraid to ingest it?
Update: tartrazine is yellow dye #5, which a handful of people in the world may be sensitive to.

As I did when I was bored with life in France, I'm starting new little personal challenges. This time it's training myself to sleep on my back on the floor. 

One of the teachers brought his laptop to school today and it's covered in Hannah Montana stickers. Classic Lesotho.

I find myself completing my 12th sudoku puzzle today, this after listening to two complete audiobooks. What am I doing with my life?

Drinking straight out of the tap: the original #nofilter

"I'll be 12 on October 11th" - Happy perpetual 12th birthday, Parent Trap twins. 

Ponytail I'm coming for youuuuuu! So close!

One of the saddest moments of the day is in the morning before I leave for school and I realize I have to put on pants. Sigh. 

I just heard someone refer to college as an eternal struggle to make it to the weekend. I'd like to expand this statement to include not just college, but my entire life.

Form C boy, to some girls- "when you eat drink-o-pop [powdered drink mix], you will be kissable."

A small group of 4 PCVs was walking back to the hotel from the city center doing some grocery shopping when a random 'me gets OUT OF HER CAR and calls across the street to us, asking if she can take a picture with us. We say no. "Why?" she yells back. Um, because we're not zoo animals; we're just white. 

Making a salad, feeling so posh. 

I recently saw an article headline about American reading habits. Who reads the most? they asked in the tag line. I didn't click on the link because I already knew: PCVs. 

Aahh I just straight up got electrocuted while rewiring the socket to fit a different kind of lightbulb. Lesson: unplug first.

Hair status: I can now get tangles. What are this?

It's getting to the point were in class, my students are asking me questions in Sesotho and I respond in a mixture of SesEnglish. 

PC: where your socks are perpetually crunchy. 

I'm about to start form B math class when kids start rushing to the window then out the door. I peer out and it turns out the fence (a tangled stack of logs and branches) to the garden is on fire. Kids run to the tap and fill up buckets and basins to put it out. This left the lesson with like 10 minutes of me unsuccessfully trying to teach the riled up students about algebraically solving for variables. Another swell day at Quthing Secondary. 

Both male teachers just swaggered into the staff room, both with bucket hats on their heads and sticks in their hands. "Eta, eta, eta," they greet us in Sesotho slang. When did I forget to sign up for the cool kids club?

Another teacher to me- "O motle, joaloka o hlapile ka lebese." = "You're beautiful, like you've bathed in milk."

My nkhono (grandmother) keeps telling me that she will give me eggs. This has been going on since I moved to site. Even though I told her I buy eggs in town, every time I see her, she is insistent. Today, my ausi told me to go to our nkhono's house because she wanted to give us some motoho (sour porridge), and while I was there, she was explaining how she had some eggs but some dogs crawled under the fence and ate them (which I found mildly amusing). I wonder how much longer she will keep reassuring me that she can give me these mystery eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment