Saturday, August 22, 2015

Small thoughts 10: vacation edition

Being in SA is almost like being in another country (hah...). The taxi isn't playing famu at a deafening level, people are passing the time with their phones and their headphones and (gasp) reading books, and there's not a blanket skirt to be seen.

Is ebola still a thing? There were health questionnaires and temperature cameras immediately following landing. 

Lesotho development plan: get people the heck out of Lesotho. 

Joburg: waking up to airplanes and traffic instead of donkeys and roosters

Lea found a card with the slogan "Sleep. Eat. Explore." but he thought it said "Sleep. Eat. Explode." He was like, "How do they perfectly know my life?" He should name his memoir that. Sleep Eat Explode.

Doctors Without Borders is closing their brand new Lesotho program due to political instability, and their slogan is something like "we go to the places where others won't go." What does this say about PC?

Even the small towns here (namibia) are so much nicer than any camptown in Lesotho. Pcvs here must have it pretty good. 

Remember how I was wasting away (not really) at site due to the sucky food situation? I just gained it all back instantly on vacation. Good food is more than I ever could have wished for. 

We got robbed in Namibia! (By baboons...)

At the All-volunteer conference, I realized how we graduated to the equivalent of sophomores with the new HYs coming, and how they're way too excited about life. They're not disheartened about reality yet. Typical freshmen. 

Good thing about getting the last seat on the taxi: it leaves right after I get on. Bad thing about getting the last seat on the taxi: I don't have time to buy food in town and must play boring-food-roulette at my village shop for the next few weeks. 

My excuse for why I didn't bring my ausi candy from Namibia: I tried, but you can't bring food on airplanes. Sorry.

Heard outside my house- my ausis and other neighbor kids yelling at the top of their lungs: "I AM JUMPING, I AM JUMPING, I AM JUMPING!"

No comments:

Post a Comment