Tuesday, December 30, 2014

11 October 2014: Sorrynotsorry

Today I was supposed to meet another girl to run in the morning, but she was late, so I decided to go and meet her halfway. I went the wrong way, though, and I ended up passing this valley with an awesome, sprawling view of the green and brown spotted landscape. I thought to myself (as I would many more times), “is this even real life?” but I was told that it would get even prettier in the mountains and in the upcoming rainy season when everything got greener. Continuing along my run, I found the local soccer field (“football pitch”) with a super janky goal on one side made of metal pipes. Of course, the ymnast in me saw a bar and immediately needed to play on it. It was shaking around like crazy, but that didn’t stop me from doing a few pullovers and pullups.
I got home and ate another breakfast of lesheleshele with peanut butter (the 2nd ingredient was sugar, and the 3rd was hydrogenated oil. Sigh. (I have since found much, much better PB than the kind my ‘me was giving me. Though it wasn’t as bad, the PB my ‘me gave me reminded me about the PB my host family gave my roommate and me in Morocco. It was only 50% peanuts, and the label was in Dutch. Luckily, there was a student from the Netherlands also staying with us, so we asked her to translate the rest of the ingredients. She didn’t really know what they were. Not promising)). Wow, my mind wanders a lot. Anyway, while I was waiting for my ‘me to finish packing my lunch into a rectangular tupperware container, at the table there was this guy (never seen him before) asking me to marry him. Really? Come on, dude. I just laughed at him.
I went to my 2nd language lesson, and after only a few lessons, plus the fact that my ‘me is so enthusiastic about teaching me new words, I think I can almost actually hold baby conversations with people. And by baby conversations, I mean that I can respond to the most basic of questions without having a super confused look on my face. I have also learned to say “ha ke tsebe” [I don’t know] and “ha ke utloisise” [I don’t understand], which have come in handy after those basic questions turn into something more complicated.

It’s raining now at my house, and earlier it was hailing at the church/school (we call it “The Hub”) that we have training sessions at. It sounded like a shower of bullets! These tin roofs are not forgiving at all. It was deafening. On another note, my ‘me says that I need to get fat, which would explain why she gives me so much papa during lunch. Nope. I literally can’t stuff all that food into my stomach. Sorrynotsorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment