Thursday, April 6, 2017

9 January 2017: Zambia- Lusaka

                I found my way to the Livingstone bus station where I got on a “Shalom” bus to Lusaka, the capital. Oh man, it was a long day, as are all travel days. The bus actually left a couple of minutes ahead of schedule, which was surprising. The bus ride was supposed to be 7 hours, but we had to stop a few times because the engine was overheating and they had to pour water down in there, so it turned out to be longer. So it goes. My kindle and podcasts saved the day once again. I also pondered what to do with my tent and how to fix the snapped pole. I’d made so many repairs on that thing: sewing, gluing, taping, etc. For a R200 tent (about $15), it’s done a really god job for me and other PCVs on camping trips in Lesotho and for my past two months traveling.
                The bus finally touched down in Lusaka and I grabbed my bags from underneath. I had planned to stay at Wanderers, a backpackers with camping, but since my tent was currently unusable, I instead went to Flinstones Backpackers, the closest one to the bus station. I got a dorm bed for K70/night, and quickly regretted my decision to stay there, as the hostel is pretty crappy. No hot water in most bathrooms, no water at all in others, everything is super run down, they have a sketchy kitchen, and their wifi was not free and was only sporadically working. It’s accurately named, though, because this place is fit for the Stone Age. The next day after I checked in, I decided to scout out other hostels in the neighborhood, thinking that I probably should have spent more nights in Livingstone instead of here in Lusaka. My wander around the block revealed two or three other backpackers, all much more expensive, but they looked marginally nicer. Oh well, I would settle for Flinstones for the sake of cash money. And I convinced myself that it wasn’t too horrible…
                Other exciting adventures in Lusaka included the mall, where I acquired some super cheap tennis shoes. The only shoes I owned at the time were my Chacos, and I felt like going running. I also exchanged some of my extra Rand stash for Zambian Kwacha at an exchange place, then bought some wifi from the Vodaphone kiosk. I was able to finally communicate to my mom who, after only three days of no contact, had emailed the hostel looking for me. No less than three staff members/the owners came to talk to me about her concern. Apparently she thought that I had left Lusaka a few days earlier for Abidjan, and on that day, flights to Abidjan were diverted all over the continent because of an enormous sand storm. She thought I was trapped at some random airport. But nope, I was still safe in Zambia, just without the ability to communicate.
                Also staying at the hostel were a nice couple looking for a house to buy in Lusaka. As I finished a workout in the courtyard area, the husband came up to me and asked why I don’t talk much. I just replied that I keep to myself normally, and that I had a lot of writing and planning to do- I didn’t come to Lusaka to socialize and explore; it was just a temporary stop before I got a flight. He said something silly along the lines of, “But you came to Africa to make friends, to talk to indigenous people like me.” Yes, he actually used the word indigenous. Hah nope, dude, you don’t even know me. That’s not actually why I came to Africa. I explained that I had been in the Peace Corps and now was traveling around. In my current destination, I just hadn’t met any worthy vacation friends to be sociable with in this boring non-destination.
                My last day, I walked to a different mall to print some things I would need for my Côte d’Ivoire visa. I strategically spent the rest of my Kwacha on some street food, including a pre-sliced mango, and some more wifi. Then the morning I left, I got on a 5am taxi (K250/$25…yowza) to the airport. At the check-in desk, apparently I needed a printed copy of my Côte d’Ivoire visa application receipt (you apply for the Côte d’Ivoire visa online), so the agent was really nice and had me email it to her and she printed it out for me.
                I would be taking three flights: backtracking from Lusaka, Zambia to Johannesburg, Joburg to Accra, Ghana, then Accra to Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. My ultimate goal was to get to Liberia, but the flight into Liberia was at least four times more expensive than a flight into Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, which is the country just to the east of Liberia. I figured that I’d save a bunch of money by flying in there, then just taking a bus across the country into Liberia. Also, given that I hadn’t been able to get a Liberia visa in South Africa, I would have to do it in Abidjan, which is the only other relatively close place that had an embassy. Somehow I was afraid that they wouldn’t give me my visa when I arrived. I had no reason to believe this, but there’s always something that seems to go wrong. My nervousness about visas was mostly fueled by the Malawi fiasco (see Panic! At the Border post), but I convinced myself that everything would be fine. Things always work out. Not necessarily the way you thought, or in the time frame you expected, but they always do.

In my next post, follow your intrepid hero as she finds that her fears were real, and she does, in fact, have another Panic! at the border moment. It never ends, does it?


Sorry I have no photos of Lusaka, because, well, it was nothing special. There are lots more photos to come, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment