Tuesday, January 3, 2017

4 November 2016: South Africa- Oribi Gorge

I arrived at Oribi Gorge just in time for it to start to be super cloudy and thunderish. I got to the office and saw a map of the trails around the gorge. I decided to take one of the short hikes near the camping area before I set up my tent, just in time for the rain to start. Other than the zillion dragonfly-esque bugs that were buzzing around and plopping upon my tent (perhaps turning on the campsite light was not such a good idea during the night), the campsite area here is really nice. There are very clean bathrooms and showers, a very well-equipped kitchen, a small pool, and a bunch of little huts you can also stay in. I think camping was R90 per night, and if you just want to go for the day it was something like R30, but you have to go out of your way to get to the office, so I doubt very many people actually know to go over and pay.

                I drove through the gorge and did a few of the hikes. There were amazing views as I climbed up the side of the gorge to get to the top edge. Along with a ton of fat millipedes and other huge/weird/fuzzy bugs and spiderwebs to walk through, I also saw what I think was a wildebeest and some pink-butted baboons. Back at the campsite, I swam in the pool while watching baboons scamper around in the trees and across power lines. It was a cool place. Shame I was literally the only one in the thing...









No comments:

Post a Comment