Wednesday, January 7, 2015

23 October 2014: Food Questions

It’s 5:30 AM and the first bout of stomach issues has struck. I knew it would be inevitable. It’s not fatal, but not pleasant. I was gonna get up and do some exercise today before I went to the hub, but I guess that’s not happening. Maybe it’s from washing food in unfiltered water. I feel like I should on the one hand start getting my body used to his, but on the other hand, there are things like parasites and worms that you can’t just get used to. I was able to start drinking the tap water in Morocco after a while, and I drank the tap water in China for a few days without knowing that you were supposed to boil it. I was fine though. Hopefully I can sort of get used to this water, but I think it might take a few gastrointestinal workouts first before I will have no problems.

Also, I figured out why they don’t give us spicy food. . Everyone in the group had been complaining so much about the blandness of the food, and we just assumed that the Basotho didn’t cook with spices, until I learned that someone (who this uninformed Mosotho is, I have no idea) had told all the bo’me that Americans are afraid of spicy food. Do they not realize how often I come across the word “siracha” on the internet? The Minnesotan in our group is loving it, but since there are a bunch of us from California and Texas, the rest of were suffering from the lack of flavor. Except salt. The Basotho love salt. To excess.Blech. My moroho[swiss chard] the other day turned to me and was like “oh, would you like some vegetables with your lunch box of salt?” Yeah, I kinda would, thanks.

Speaking of food, here are some photos of our cooking session at the hub




Chelsea and Kyle

Jordan, Adrian squeezing oranges, and Alysa

Leonard's orange smile

Then Jeff tried a tomato smile


No comments:

Post a Comment