Thursday, December 22, 2016

16 October 2016: Yet another episode in the quarterlife mystery that is my life: what is growing up?

                It’s a rainy Sunday, and the only thing I’ve done today is laze around, listening to podcasts, reading, and play with the orphanage directors’ dogs. I was particularly struck by one episode of the podcast “Millennial,” in which our melodramatic hero Megan interviews a guy who sailed around the world after college about postponing growing up and trying to be Peter Pan. He tells a story about a friend who is married, has a stable job he likes, a house and a dog, and sailor guy feels like he “need[s] to start sprinting just to catch up.” Megan asks why he wants to be Peter Pan, what he’s afraid of. He says that he’s afraid of “missing out on what [he] really want[s].” Megan uses this opportunity to go off on a soliloquy and says that at some point, she knows that she needs to “face [her] shit,” go through the storm, and deal with her problems/insecurities/uncertainties head on. Now, after this guy has done what he thought he really wanted, which is sail around the world, he doesn’t know what he wants next, or at all.
                Megan then switches gears to talking about how she sees social media presences differently now. “When my friends are standing in front of a volcano or on top of a mountain in a far-away country,” she wonders if those smiles are forced, if they’ve actually got real problems they’re trying to deal with that you don’t see in these happy posts. Wow, girl, sounds like you’re just trying to make yourself feel better, given the fact that you’re having problems with your boyfriend and getting rejected from fellowships and things. “Are they climbing this mountain because they don’t want to grow up?” she asks. Ouch. Right in the feels, that one. Are these posts, she asks, “the best way to hide what is actually happening?” OK there, sweetheart. First of all, climbing mountains in a far-away country (AKA my life) doesn’t mean that I’m escaping tons of problems at home, and that I’m trying to put oft growing up. I think she has a skewed idea of what “growing up” actually means. No one really knows for sure, but I don’t see it as having to face problems instead of running away from them. You do this literally your entire life, not just when you enter “adulthood.” Growing up may mean that you have to solve these problems more independently, or that you build character by learning to deal with new and different problems, but a no point in my childhood could I get away with not facing my own problems head-on. Growing up doesn’t mean that you can’t go out and have fun and climb mountains It doesn’t mean that you have to be stuck in one place and start turning into stone. You don’t have to be sucked into that mindset. Just because that happens to some (most?) people as they “grow up” doesn’t mean that you have to accept that as the status quo and do the same. If you need to feel included in a club of people going through the same experiences as you, there’s not just one way to do that. You don’t have to only join the club of people who get cubicle jobs, get married, have some kids and ferns on the windowsill, and plant some immovable roots and turn into a boring old person. There are so many other (legitimate/successful/respected) life paths you can follow.
When asked about growing up, a faithful and wise friend said that it is “in a sense, yes, being tied down. Putting something besides oneself first: job, SO, kids, whatever. When you’re not #1 anymore, then you’re grown” So there’s another perspective to think about.
                Now this begs the question, did I join Peace Corps and move to Lesotho and learn to climb mountains to escape my problems and put off growing up? Absolutely not. Sure, I did it in part because I didn’t really know what it was I actually wanted out of life, like sailboat boy, but my time here has helped me narrow down what it is that I do want. I wasn’t so naïve that I thought I could run away from my problems by coming here. Whatever problems I may or may not have had, I would be taking them along with me. There’s no such thing as leaving your baggage at the door. I have taken these two years to try to solve my main problem, which at the moment is “WTF am I gonna do with my life?” and have spent a lot of time hashing out my many options. So, in a way, “escaping” to Lesotho has really helped me solve my problems, not run away from them. Lesotho has not postponed my growing up. In so many ways, it has forced me to grow up as I have navigated a new country/culture and too many unforeseen speed bumps (and also many successes!) along the way.

                I read in This Side of Paradise that the joy of youth is actually the loss of it by experiencing new things. Then there are fewer and fewer things to do for the first time, until you may (if you’re not careful) stop looking for new things to do. This is when you’ve lost our youth: by failing to seek out new places/people/experiences. So I guess, in a way, coming here has scratched that itch of losing my “haven’t done”s but at the same time, my youth-ometer isn’t dwindling because I’m crossing things off. The level is the same, maybe even rising, because I’ve seen just a taste of what there is still left to do and where there is still left to go out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment